United Nations Documentation Division, Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM) Mandate
In accordance with General Assembly resolution 43/222, the Committee has the following terms of reference:
- To advise the General Assembly on all matters pertaining to the organization of conferences in the United Nations.
- To plan and coordinate conferences and meetings in close consultation with the Secretariat and all relevant bodies in the preparation of the draft calendar, in particular by staggering conferences and meetings throughout the year, and to avoid to the maximum extent possible the overlapping of meetings related to the same sector of activity in the same conference location.
- To examine the proposals of the Secretary-General on the draft calendar prepared on the basis of his budgetary proposals, and to recommend to the General Assembly a draft calendar of conferences and meetings designed to meet the needs of the United Nations and to ensure the optimum utilization of conference-servicing resources. With respect to the proposed departures from the approved calendar of conferences and meetings that have administrative and financial implications, to act on behalf of the Assembly, in conformity with the budgetary process in force and with full respect for the mandates of other bodies.
- To determine the ways and means that might ensure the optimum utilization of conference facilities and services, including documentation, and to present appropriate recommendations to the General Assembly.
- To advise the General Assembly on the current and future requirements of the Organization for conference services, facilities and documentation.
- To make recommendations to the General Assembly on means to ensure improved coordination of conferences within the United Nations system, including conference services and facilities, and to conduct the appropriate consultations in that regard.
- To monitor the implementation of all General Assembly resolutions on the organization and servicing of, and documentation for, conferences and meetings.
- To monitor the policy of the Organization on publications, with the assistance of the Publications Board of the Secretariat and taking into account the positions adopted by the Committee on Information and other relevant bodies.
- To report annually to the General Assembly.