The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) is looking for recent graduates to join the 2023 cohort of Graduate Interns. This is an 11-month internship that will allow you to use the knowledge you gained during your studies in a professional environment. Joining us is not just about launching your international career, it is about doing meaningful work for the public good and serving the global community.
By joining the graduate internship programme in Banking or Risk Management you will:
- have the opportunity to undertake a largely self-directed project, which allows you to innovate and bring fresh perspectives and new ideas into our business.
- look at how new technologies can be used to solve complex analytical and quantitative business problems, or to help us develop new business opportunities or products.
- directly contribute to BIS banking activities and enjoy exposure to a broad range of ideas and projects and play a valuable part in supporting the wider central banking community.
- collaborate with leading banking and risk management professionals from around the world.
Purpose of the Internship Programme:
The programme is aimed at enriching your work experience in order to help you in your pursuit of your next step, whether to a higher educational degree or a position at another organisation.
Together we will scope, define and agree on the project, which will depend on your skills and interest/expertise. You will be assigned to work in one of the following areas:
- Banking Department – The BIS Banking Department offers a broad range of banking services designed to assist central banks in the management of their foreign exchange and gold reserves. These services are provided by the Department’s Treasury and Asset Management & Advisory groups, with technical and analytical support from Back- and Middle-Office as well as Banking IT.
- Risk Models (embedded in Risk Management) – Risk Management ensures that financial risks arising from BIS banking operations are identified, appropriately measured, controlled, monitored and reported. The unit develops corresponding policies and proposals, and monitors adherence to defined rules and trading limits. Within Risk Management, the Risk Models team develops quantitative risk measurement and valuation methodologies across all financial risk types, in line with sound market practice, regulation, and targeted to the special scope and nature of the BIS business model.
Programme duration: 11 months
Programme location: Basel, Switzerland
Programme start date: October 2023
You would be working on a quantitative and/ or implementation project in one of the above-mentioned departments. The internship programme would address a relevant business project, that requires innovative analytical solutions and/ or the leveraging of new technologies. Under the guidance of a team member, you would be driving the project, from the analysis phase and the implementation until the eventual presentation of final results, potentially to a wider audience.
Qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree ideally in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Financial Engineering, or a related field, completed between 2022 and 2023
- Strong analytical skills
- Practical coding experience in Python, R, Matlab, Microsoft C#.net or similar
- Interest in banking and/or risk management and the application of new technologies relevant for the financial sector; experience with financial markets, financial return and risk modelling, for example in the context of practical portfolio construction exercises, pricing and valuation methodologies or risk measurement, is a plus
- Experience in fintech applications (machine learning, artificial intelligence, blockchain technology) gained, for example, in the context of the master’s thesis is a plus
- Proactive personality with a willingness to learn and curiosity for new topics
What we offer:
The contract is for up to 11 months (non-renewable). We offer a competitive salary net of Swiss income tax, health insurance, support with relocation and return travel, as well as accommodation in Basel.
Who we are:
We are a diverse and inclusive organisation with colleagues from around the globe. By joining us in the international city of Basel, you will work in a unique, highly rewarding, and international work environment. We truly value diversity and inclusion and want to reflect the world we serve. We want the best people to work for us in an inclusive environment so welcome applications from all qualified candidates. We value equality and diversity in all its forms and one way we support diversity and inclusion is through our staff-run networks. You can discover more about diversity and inclusion at the BIS here.
The application deadline is Monday 17 April 2023. Interviews will be conducted in April and May, with employment offers being extended in June 2023.
Please submit your CV and your answers to the application screening questions. These questions will help us better understand your profile, but you are not expected to have experience in all of the areas listed.