Organization: United Nations Environment Programme
Result of Service
• Logistical needs for each capacity building/training activity identified and supported
• Various correspondences drafted and dispatched.
• Effective and regular liaison with various stakeholders, including through correspondence, telephone and other media conducted.
• Administrative and logistical support as well as regular updates to the respective officers to plan and implement activities required.
• Accurate reports and/or records in the areas of work programming, budget/financial management, personnel administration and other administrative functions
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located at UNEP’s Ecosystems Division, within the Nairobi Convention Secretariat, Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Coordinator of the Nairobi Convention secretariat.
Objective of the Individual Contractor (IC)
To support the Nairobi Convention Secretariat’s operations and programme team in undertaking various activities related to administration, programme and logistical support. The IC will work closely with the administration and finance team in ensuring timely action is taken on various processes.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Head of the Nairobi Convention Secretariat and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator of the SAPPHIRE Project, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
• Assist with the daily administrative functions of the unit, draft routine correspondence, respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative and human resources matters.
• Perform general administration functions to the operations and programme team in relation to obtaining vendor quotations, compiling procurement documents, vendor registration, and banking details upload. Raise requisitions for procurement and finance in the system for purchase of various office requirements. Ensure procurement policies have been followed
• Manage contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services. Audit the contractors’ invoices against the goods and services.
• Provide administrative support to unit’s meetings; typing and distributing minutes/reports as required.
• Assist in travel arrangements and organization of meetings, workshops, international conferences, liaise with relevant offices at UNEP regarding allocation of meeting rooms, preparation of agenda, list of participants as well as sending out invitations.
• Processing and subsequent follow-up of travel authorizations, organizing tickets, advise on visa acquisition, and arranging for travel advance with Payments Unit,
• Prepare pre-encumbrance for stock requisitions for the office and ensure availability of adequate supplies.
• Support in monitoring accounts and processing of payments to vendors, consultants and individual contractors for services. Review & submission of invoices, delivery notes, POs & Terms of References (ToRs) and other supporting documents
• Communicate with participants on trainings, venue, HR mini master forms and bank documents.
• Prepare documentation for meetings and Missions; meetings and reports.
• Organize and coordinate documents related to seminars, conferences and translations, drafting of agreements.
• Assist to process implementing partner agreements; maintain projects databases and reporting.
• Assist in following up with implementing partners for submission of financial expenditure reports; review of documents and reports; assist in project data compilation and facilitate feedback from stakeholders and implementing partners
• Process payment requests, expense reports, agreement amendments for implementing partners in the Umoja grantor programme
• Assist to coordinate activities of budget in budget implementation and monitoring of expenditure
Academic Qualifications: A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary training in either business administration, finance, procurement, travel, programme management or contracts management is desirable.
Experience in the usage of computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel etc.) is required.
Practical experience in ERP systems such as UMOJA is desired.
Prior experience in an international organization such as UN, INGO is desirable.
Excellent organizational and communication skills is desirable.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.