The Alliance of Bioversity International (www.bioversityinternational.org
) and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) ( www.ciat.cgiar.org
) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation.
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people in a climate crisis.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
About the position
The Alliance is seeking to recruit an Assistant II (Plant Pathology) to work with the cassava program in Asia. The position supports all areas of cassava pathology, including pathogen identification and characterization using conventional and modern scientific methods, as well as integrated pest management. The position reports to the Cassava Pathologist.
- Work with the Cassava Pathologist to provide technical support in all cassava activities related to laboratory and greenhouse experiments, as well as conducting field surveys;
- Conduct field experiments on disease epidemiology and integrated management of economically important diseases of cassava;
- Provide support in training national partners (scientists and technicians) in pathogen collection, diagnostics, characterization, and conservation;
- Accord technical support to interns and postgraduate students conducting research in plant pathology;
- Manage laboratory and greenhouse inventory;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervising Cassava Pathologist.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Technology career or equivalent in Agriculture or lab technology as minimum level of education with minimum 2 years of relevant experience;
- Ability to enforce laboratory standard operating procedures;
- Good statistical analysis skills or the ability to learn quickly;
- Ability to cope with heavy intermittent workload;
- Good oral and written communication in English is an added advantage;
- Willingness to learn laboratory- and field-based diagnostic tools;
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Must be inquisitive, analytical, self-driven and a team player.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time position based in Vientiane, Laos and available for Laotian nationals. Contracts are issued and renewed annually based on performance and availability of resources. This position is subjected to an initial three-month probation period and is graded at a level BG5 in a scale of 14 levels being BG14 the highest level. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive for gender, diversity, and inclusion in our staff, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic.
To be considered for this position, please send an email to HR Unit: T.ToMai@cgiar.org
(Ms. To Mai Trang), cc M.Raju@cgiar.org
(Ms. Monissa Raju) with the subject line “Application: Assistant II – Plant Pathology – Your full name–“. In your email, please include:
1. A cover letter illustrating your motivation to apply and suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications and work responsibilities;
2. A detailed curriculum vitae, including the names and email addresses of three professional referees who are knowledgeable about your skills and professional abilities.
This position is urgent and will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found. Only qualified applicants with relevant skills and experience will be contacted. We recommend applying as soon as possible and no later than April 11, 2023.