||3 years 0 months
||Spanish and/or French preferred
||12/12/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
In Fintech, we are a specialized investor. Our first Fintech investment was made in 2008. Since then, we have backed over 65 disruptors that have forever changed the way financial services are delivered in over 28 countries and across borders. Among them, we count 8 unicorns and 4 public companies, and we are proud that almost all of them are now a permanent and successful fixture of the financial services industry in their specific market. We deploy patient capital from our balance sheet and bring in a unique perspective and understanding of financial services accumulated across the globe during more than 15 years of fintech investing. This knowledge, on top of decades of work IFC has done in traditional financial services such as banking, microfinance, housing finance, capital markets etc. makes us market leaders. We help our companies grow in any market, fragile or stable. We build their balance sheet through further debt investments so that they compete effectively. We use our unique understanding of regulation and government intent (as part of the World Bank Group) to guide our portfolio companies to establish themselves in any environment. (See more on our portfolio here)
The team consists of about 25 professionals, a mix of entrepreneurial Fintech and venture capital veterans, late-stage investors and former investment bankers working as a unit within the Financial Institutions Group (FIG) at IFC, in Washington DC, Mexico City, Lagos, Johannesburg, Paris, Cairo, Mumbai, Bangkok and Singapore, with business development activities and appetite to invest across Emerging Markets (EM). FIG invests over $10 billion annually in a range of financial intermediaries across banking, insurance, NBFIs and digital banks and fintechs.
We are looking to hire Investment staff to our team. The candidates should have prior investment, corporate finance or consulting experience, and must demonstrate drive, curiosity and willingness to learn, a natural desire to understand business operations and market fundamentals, strong networking skills and initiative. Candidates are also expected to travel extensively for due diligence or business development.
The current position is for an Associate Investment Officer to be based in Nairobi, Kenya with prior experience in fintec, VC or private equity investing.
Duties & Responsibilities :
The selected individual will be expected to:
• Participate in all aspects of IFC’s deal approval process, including business development, due diligence and portfolio management.
• As part of a transaction team, lead commercial due diligence, financial analysis, and preparation of Investment Review meeting books and materials, mentor and support more junior staff working within the team.
• Work with senior global and regional staff to help identify attractive investment opportunities and a strong pipeline of potential high quality investments globally and across selected EM through mapping, desk research, and investment pipeline management.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, and industry players to to develop specific investment opportunities.
• Conduct deep analysis and due diliegence in business operations and understand business models.
• Share knowledge of Fintech with the FIG regional teams.
• Assist in other project or strategy related activities, as the need may arise.
• Help design and maintain proper KPIs for portfolio companies or pipeline opportunity.
• Master’s degree in finance, economics or other related areas. Candidates with MBA, CPA, or CFA would have an advantage.
• Minimum 5 years experience in investment banking, consulting or PE/VC, or Business Development with Fintech company.
• Good market knowledge and familiarity with the fintech and PE/VC players in Africa.
• Proven analytical, financial analysis, equity valuation, and financial modeling skills to analyze and form conclusions on financial information or projects.
• Strong interest in developing markets, Fintech and emerging technology areas.
• Native familiarity with financial software applications (e.g., Microsoft Office, research and financial databases like Bloomberg, etc.).
• Team player with strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work successfully with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Fluency in spoken and written English; other languages (Spanish, French, Chinese) would be a major plus.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.