The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia and the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor of the FAO Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit (FAO/FSNAU).
The Capacity Development Specialist will support the development and implementation of FSNAU’s Capacity Development Strategy and lead and coordinate FSNAU’s capacity development initiatives and activities.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Support the development and implementation of FSNAU Capacity Development Strategy.
• Support the development of FSNAU’s annual work plan and budget to support the implementation of FSNAU’s capacity Development strategy Report and prepare periodic progress and implementation reports.
• Lead and coordinate capacity development efforts to support food security and nutrition related government line ministries, institutions, and local universities.
• Conduct capacity needs assessment of Somali institutions, including the identification of capacity development gaps and priorities relevant to the mandate of the FSNAU.
• Develop/adapt and update appropriate training materials and modules for the provision of food security related training to technical staff of relevant government line ministries, institutions, and local universities.
• Train technical staff of the government institutions in order to build their capacities and skills to carry out food security and nutrition assessments, monitoring, analysis and reporting.
• Prepare draft Letters of Agreement and Memoranda of Understanding and budget to support capacity development of government line ministries, institutions, and local universities.
• Lead, coordinate, monitor and report on the participation of relevant government line ministries, institutions, and local universities in FSNAU-led seasonal assessments and analyses as well as training activities conducted by FSNAU.
• Support the transfer of FSNAU capacities to Somali institutions at national and sub-national levels.
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in one of the following fields: rural development, agriculture, or other relevant discipline.
• At least 4 years of relevant experience in food security and livelihoods assessment, monitoring, analysis, and reporting, preferably in Somalia.
• Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
• Nationality of Somalia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Experience in food security and livelihoods assessment, monitoring, analysis, and reporting.
• Experience in data analysis, report writing and presentation skills.
• Engaging in continuous learning as well as planning and organizing to deliver quality results.
• Understanding FAO mandate and its global context.