Organization: United Nations Environment Programme
Result of Service
• A fully functional UN Decade Digital Hub
Duties and Responsibilities
The UN Environment Programme is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Communication Division communicates UNEP’s core messages to all stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UNEP worldwide.
The UN General Assembly has designated the years 2021 through 2030 as UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, with the goal of preventing, halting and reversing the degradation of ecosystems worldwide. UNEP has been assigned to co-lead on the UN Decade, together with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), by takin the lead on communication, global advocacy and partnerships.
The UN Decade’s launch report “Becoming Generation Restoration” stresses that the 1.5-degree goal can no longer be achieved without ambitious restoration of natural carbon sinks. Climate action and ecosystem restoration need to go hand in hand.
After the UN Decade’s successful launch with World Environment Day 2021, the campaign has focused efforts and resources on building out a more sophisticated and interactive digital presence. The goal is to use the UN Decade’s “Digital Hub” to reflect efforts on the ground, track Key Performance Indicators from across partners and restoration implementers, and offer a wide range of direct engagement opportunities for interested individuals.
The Consultant will lead on day-to-day management of the UN Decade’s Digital Hub, and associated digital platforms and outlets. They will work closely with all UN Decade Partners on ensuring that digital tools are utilized to their fullest extent to uplift and garner support to restoration implementers on the ground. As such, they will act as critical link between the UN Decade’s core team, UNEP’s web-team and the wider UN Decade Partner network.
Under the direct supervision of the Communication Manager for the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration and overall guidance from UNEP’s Head of Web, the Consultant will offer their expertise to the following areas of work:
• Map out operational management of the UN Decade, including a plan for day-to-day management of the Digital Hub, with a special view on climate action;
• Advise on liaison with UN Decade Partners to secure high-quality content and timely updates to be showcased digitally;
• Employ expertise to other digital communication products and channels, such as website, newsletters, social media campaigns, reports, etc.
• Lend expertise to facilitation of smooth internal communication and collaboration between the UN Decade’s core team, UNEP’s web-team and the wider Partner Network, as well as partners relevant to climate action;
• Advise on improving Key Performance Indicators, such as page views, visitor numbers, engagements, opening rates and other indicators, based on the overall strategic guidance from UNEP’s web-team;
• Advise on smooth liaison between UNEP’s teams and external vendors in regards to the UN Decade’s digital presence;
• Offer expertise to continuously onboarding new partners and restoration implementers to the digital interface;
• Employ expertise to trouble-shoot any problems the core team, UN Decade partners, or restoration implementers may encounter in interacting with the UN Decade’s digital interface.
Academic Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Studies, Education, Communication, Political Sciences, or other related field is required.
A minimum of two years of experience in environment, education, communication, or related field is required.
Ability to learn on-the-job and willingness to familiarize themselves with relevant digital tools, such as Drupal (CMS), other CMS interfaces, Hubspot, and other tools as needed.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in another UN language is an advantage.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.