The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture, and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the
Organization in the region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into
the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. The Regional Office
supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture, and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Communication Specialist will carry out activities that support the Organization’s corporate and regional communication strategy and activities.
The position is located in the Regional Office in Budapest, Hungary.
The Communication Specialist reports to the REU Communications Officer.
Coordination of a wide range of activities promoting FAO’s visibility and positive reputation in the Europe and Central Asia region; Technical support and practical advice provided to FAO teams in the region, in line with current FAO corporate and regional communication strategy and plans.
Tasks and responsibilities
– Provide technical backstopping for communication focal points in FAO’s country and project offices across the region – in the form of preliminary review and feedback on news releases, media advisories, web stories drafted in English, and other high-profile communication outputs
– Drive FAO’s weekly news development and dissemination operation for the Europe and Central Asia region
– Implement communication plans in support of important FAO events, publications, and other activities – with particular attention to the Host Country, but not exclusively
– Arrange and moderate press conferences, media briefings and other high-profile events as required in the Host Country
– Oversee adaptation of news releases and media advisories for dissemination to Host Country news media, and related monitoring of Host Country media
– Plan and coordinate activities for World Food Day in the Host country, liaising with Hungarian counterparts and the media
– Research and write news and feature stories presenting the work of FAO in Europe and Central Asia, for dissemination to news media, via the regional office’s website, through social media, to UN country teams
– Liaise with UN country teams ensuring FAO’s participation and contribution to joint planning and reporting exercises where FAO is a member without a formal Representation
– Review video scripts from country focal points and ensure they adhere to FAO guidelines
– Contribute to the development of a communication strategy for enhancing FAO’s presence in the region
– Draft news stories for the Intranet and social media messages
– Ensure the continuation of the communication workflow in the absence of the Communication Officer.
– Other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in Communications, Journalism, International Relations or a related field;
• At least five years of relevant experience in corporate communications, public relations;
• For Consultants: working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian; For PSA subscriber, working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Knowledge of Russian language highly desirable
• Experience working for the UN or other similar agencies
• Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Excel and internet research
• Video editing and podcast skills desirable