Result of Service
The Data Engineer is expected to fulfill the following goals:
– Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
– Performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
– Development of data related instruments/instances
UN House – ESCWA
6 MonthsDuties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Chief, ICTS, and direct supervision by the team leader, Data Unit, the contractor will perform the following tasks:
– Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
– Assemble large, complex datasets that meet functional/non-functional business requirements
– Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
– Building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Azure ‘big data’ techniques.
– Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
– Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
An advanced university degree in computer science, computer engineering or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with minimum of one additional year of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
All candidates must submit a copy of the required educational degree. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
A minimum of 2 years of work experience as a Data Engineer or similar role with one of the following object-oriented/Object function scripting languages: Python and/or Scala is required.
A minimum of 1 years of work experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and MongoDB is required.
Knowledge of big data tools: Apache Spark and/or Kafka, etc. is desirable.
Hands on experience with Linux is desirable.
Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools is desirable.
Hands on experience with Microsoft Azure is desirable.
Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc. is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat; and Arabic is a working language of ESCWA.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official United Nations language is desirable.
Note: “Fluency” equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.
Recruitment for this position is on a local basis. The incumbent is required to have the legal right to live and work in Lebanon.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.