The Governing Bodies Servicing Division (CSG) provides the Secretariat of the Conference and the Council, and supports all Governing and Statutory Bodies of FAO. It houses the Multilingualism expertise of the Organization, delivering corporate language goods and services. CSG also provides Protocol and Meetings services to the Organization, and sustains liaison and communication with Members.
Candidates endorsed in the selection process for this vacancy announcement will be considered for the Governing Bodies Servicing Consultants’ Roster in support of the Secretariat Services branch (CSGS) for a period of 3 years. The Roster is used to fill other similar positions at the same or lower grade, and in the same or another duty station.
The Consultant/Personal Services Agreement Subscriber (PSA) reports to the Chief, Secretariat Services branch (CSGS), under the overall guidance of the Director CSG.
Support to Governing Body Secretariat functions, including monitoring and editing of documents pertaining to governance matters, and liaison with Members.
Tasks and responsibilities
Collection, analysis and review of information for the effective delivery of corporate services.
• Support the coordination of procedures related to conferences and high level meetings
• Research and analyse policy and service delivery issues and prepare related reports;
• Contribute to the development of information and training materials and assist in the presentation of information/training sessions to management and staff;
• Participate on project teams and work groups;
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Provide information on procedures to follow regarding the preparation of, and documentation required for, statutory and Governing Body meetings;
• Collect and analyse information for inclusion in statutory and/or management reports, statements as well as specific reports for Governing Bodies, members and other partners;
• Review and analyse reports, procedures, conference-related and administrative rules and policies.
• Contribute to the preparation of formal correspondence between FAO and its Members;
• Support processes for smooth functioning of Governing Body meetings, in particular Conference and Council;
• Provide support to the Independent Chairperson of Council for effective discharge of his/her duties;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• For Consultants – University degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Law or another field relevant to the work of the Organization
• For PSA Subscribers – University degree, or Secondary School Education with relevant experience and/or training in areas related to the work of the Organization
• At least one year of relevant experience
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for Consultants)
• Working knowledge of only one FAO language is required for PSA Subscribers.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in conference management activities in an intergovernmental environment
• Demonstrated ability to draft and edit documents
• Knowledge and understanding of rules, regulations, statutory and legal instruments of FAO, in particular those pertaining to the establishment, functioning and procedures of Governing Body meetings is considered an asset
• Understanding of the functioning of UN agencies and the UN system is considered a strong asset