The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations established in October 1945 with the objective of eliminating hunger, improving nutrition and standards of living by increasing agricultural productivity. FAO contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through its Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind. Accordingly, FAO complements the efforts of governments and technical agencies in programs for developing agriculture, forestry, fisheries, land and water resources. It also carries out research; provides technical assistance on projects in individual countries; operates educational programs through seminars and training centres; maintains information and support services, including keeping statistics on world production, trade, and consumption of agricultural commodities; and publishes a number of periodicals, yearbooks, and research bulletins.
FAO headquarters are in Rome, Italy and the organization has more than 180 members with offices throughout the world. Through the Botswana Office, FAO is collaborating with the Ministry of Health, through Department of Public Health, to implement a national project on Development of National Food and Nutrition Policy. A Technical working group has been mobilized and it managed to approve the inception report for development of the policy. With all the necessary information collected, the next phase is to formulate appropriate policy. Therefore, the Legal Expert will lead a process to develop a comprehensive National Food and Nutrition for Botswana.
The Legal Expert will work under the overall managerial and operational guidance of the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Botswana, with technical supervision of a Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and support from a Technical Officer based in FAO Headquarters in Rome, Italy as well as guidance from the Project Coordinator.
Development of National Food and Nutrition Policy for Botswana based on relevant FAO guidelines and other established methodologies.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Contribute to development a food and nutrition security policy for Botswana;
• Identify, collect and analyse the existing legislation relating to food and nutrition security, and develop a national legal report with finding and recommendations on creating enabling national legal environment for food and nutrition security.
• Assist in drafting a work plan to guide the formulation process with a draft outline for the food and nutrition security policy;
• When required, provide all necessary assistance to organize the missions of the FAO Officers;
• Support to coordinate processes for consultations of all levels including the key ones on draft policy involving all relevant stakeholders as well as other technical missions to be identified under the work plan; and minute taking;
• Contribute to facilitate FAO’s supports with key government focal point ministries to speed up the endorsement of the existing food safety law when required;
• Support the international legal consultant to participate in the relevant meetings/workshops including of the technical working group;
• Together with the food and nutrition policy consultant, and the technical team, prepare a final report at the end of the project, containing findings, conclusions, recommendations, the draft policy and the list of priority pending legal documents to support the policy, and submit to FAO; and
• Perform other duties required for the satisfactory completion of tasks.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Minimum of master’s degree in Law.
• Ten (10) years of work experience in relevant technical areas.
• Working knowledge (Level C) of English
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus.
• Building Effective Relationships.
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
• Experience in organizing participatory processes and contribution to processes related to program development through engagement of a wide range of stakeholders from the government, civil society, academia, and the private sector.
• Experience with development of policies.
• Specific professional experience with food and nutrition-based projects is required.
• Experience with projects in Botswana is desired.
• Experience with UN projects is desired.
• Good writing and communication skills in English
• Knowledge of other language used in Botswana is considered an asset.
• Good analytical, presentation and training skills.
• Leading, engaging, empowering and an excellent team player.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, handle multiple tasks, work under pressure and deliver assignments on time.