Under the direct supervision of the Head of Humanitarian Access, the National Field Analyst will be responsible for supporting and strengthening the capacities of the Government of South Sudan and humanitarian agencies to prepare for mitigate and respond to humanitarian emergencies in South Sudan.
The National Field Analyst (NFA) will contribute to OCHA South Sudan’s collective efforts to improve humanitarian access.
The incumbent will engage with relevant stakeholders to ensure that their perspectives are considered and incorporated in designing Humanitarian Access planning frameworks and policy.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.)Under the direct supervisor of the Head of Humanitarian Access, the National Field Analyst will:
- Support the Head of Humanitarian Access in serving as the key focal point within the humanitarian system for NGOs, UN agencies and Government partners within the assigned geographical area of responsibility.
- Be informed and able to represent the interests of humanitarian actors within a given state or sector and advise on humanitarian priorities and principles
2. Build Relationships with Actors to support humanitarian operations:
- Build collaborative and effective relationships with all actors, both humanitarian and non-humanitarian, to ensure that all available resources and actors are ready to support humanitarian operations when necessary.
3. Monitor, track humanitarian incidents and share reports with partners:
- Monitor and track all new humanitarian incidents. Document all developments and share through verbal or written reports/briefings with field-level, implementing partners and the OCHA Head of Field Coordination in Juba.
- Support the collection of field information to improve coordination activities and effectively map areas of humanitarian.
needs and response activities.
- Contribute to the development of reporting and public information products through preparation of weekly internal field reports
4. Hosting of high-level field visits and missions and assessments:
- Support the OCHA office by participating in, as needed, the preparation and hosting of high-level field visits and missions and assessments, lessons learned and evaluations.
- Work in close collaboration with Government authorities and seek opportunities to increase the humanitarian capacity of
5. Gender-sensitive needs assessment:
- Ensure the use of gender-sensitive needs assessment, needs analysis and response strategy development. Promote the use of the interagency agreed guidelines, sphere standards, criteria of intervention, and checklists agreed at inter sector level;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Sub Office of the Head of Field Coordination
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Business Direction & Strategy: Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions.
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
- Knowledge Generation:
Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
- Cross-Functional: Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels.
- Customer Satisfaction/Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
- Business Management: Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus on improved performance and demonstrable results
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree is required and bachelor’s degree with 2 years’ experience in social sciences in lieu of Master
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Up to 2 years’ experience in a similar position with an international organization engaged in relief and development work in South Sudan.
- Experience in conducting humanitarian assessments and in implementing humanitarian programs.
- Experience with humanitarian coordination, preferably in leadership roles. Experience working with Government of South Sudan humanitarian counterparts and capacity building. Understanding of humanitarian operations and principles; Ability to communicate clearly with a demonstrated openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of actors under significant time and logistical constraints and deliver results; Excellent computer knowledge (Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint), E-Mail programmes (Lotus Notes preferred or MS Outlook), Internet search machines and responsible virus free internet usage.; knowledge of handling GPS receivers and Thuraya phone will be an added advantage..
- Provides technical support to sectors as requested.
- Assists in the establishment and maintenance of contacts with other UN agencies, NGOs, other humanitarian actors, and relevant government counterparts.
- Supports sectors to improve the efficiency of the humanitarian response through effective analyses to improve humanitarian access.
- Provides synergies and supports CMCoord desk.
Applicant information about UNOCHA rosters
Note: UNOCHA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNOCHA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
The United Nations is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.