Result of Service
The incumbent is required to:
– submit a roadmap for scanner data implementation;
– submit country web scraping templates;
– prepare presentations on new data sources, including web-scraping, scanner data and others.
Duties and Responsibilities
The project aims at improving, expanding and modernizing economic statistics output in the Arab region by developing new economic indices, sustaining and improving the compilation and dissemination of annual official National Accounts and financial statistics data including CPI and inflation data while sustaining the production of a quarterly inflation monitor, and applying innovative Big Data tools in data collection.
Under the scope of Big Data, the project looks to research new data sources and utilize alternative data collection methods to improve the process of regular price collection in member states through the development of automated tools aiming to reduce the burden on member countries and improve collection frequency and timeliness, and data accuracy. It also looks into improving price index computations through the incorporation of higher levels of detail acquired from scanner data.
The incumbent shall:
– Assist in developing and improving national price web scraping templates;
– Assist in training member country representatives on web scraping for price collection;
– Assist in researching scanner data application in the Arab region;
– Assist in developing python and R libraries and packages for price index computations;
– Research other alternative data collection tools;
– Perform other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, data science or a relevant area is required. A master’s degree in the related fields is desirable.
All candidates must submit a copy of the required educational degree. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
No previous work experience is required.
Knowledge in conducting research, knowledge of web scraping techniques and programming is required.
Familiarity with scanner data is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat; and Arabic is a working language of ESCWA.
For this position, fluency in both English and Arabic are required.
Note: “Fluency” equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.
Recruitment for this position is on a local basis. The incumbent is required to have the legal right to live and work in the specified working location.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.