WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
All applications should be received no later than 28th of September
Eligibility: Turkish nationals or those holding a valid Turkish residency permit
Type of Contract: Fixed Term (G6)
Contract Duration: 12 Months
Duty Station: Mersin -Turkey
Number of employees required: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fightinghunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime.Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that thepoorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious foodthey need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hungerglobally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
The Field Security Associate G6 is part of the Security Unit in the Mersin Area Office (WFP Syria), which manages the WFP North-West Syria Operation. The Field Security Associate reports to the Field Security Officer in the Security Unit of the Mersin AO.
Job holder demonstrates responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holder manages resources and coach and coordinate a team of security support staff such as e.g. security guards. These jobs may require to report for duty on short notice or outside business hours.
The Field Security Associate will perform the below outlined key responsibilities inside Turkey as a priority (Area Office Mersin, Liaison Office Gaziantep, UN Transshipment Hub Reyhanli and related border crossing points), whilst he/she may be exceptionally called upon to conduct missions inside North-West Syria, as directed by the Field Security Officer.
To perform tasks related to the implementation and assessment of security situation, measures and maintenance of equipment with a view towards providing updates and recommendations to facilitate informed decision-making and secure WFP staff, facilities and operations.
1. Review security threats and risks in detail and compile accurate reports on trends and situations that could adversely impact WFP operations, in order to ensure information is accurately collated and sent to senior security staff to support reporting and decision making.
2. Review security related information (e.g. security incidents and events, security support to daily activities, etc.) and use corporate or local information management tools to produce a range of analyses and in-depth reports, to ensure that information is readily available for relevant stakeholders.
3. Liaise and co-ordinate with local administration, security and law enforcement authorities, communities, UN/NGO security staff and other actors, to facilitate access for safe programme delivery and to mitigate potential risks against staff and other resources.
4. Plan and co-ordinate staff activities during field missions and perform security assessments within the area of responsibility to support safe and effective programme delivery.
5. Analyse security assessment reports following field missions and present detailed recommendations for risk mitigation to support security situation analysis and facilitate decision-making.
6. Assist in advising the Head of Area Office on security risk management matters and safety issues in compliance with the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS).
7. Support the implementation of security risk management mitigation measures, including residential security measures and SRMM to ensure compliance.
8. Support the maintenance and management of security equipment and make recommendations to strengthen technology capacity in line with business requirements.
9. Monitor and ensure that all access control procedures are effective and stringently followed by all staff and visitors, in order to maintain a safe and secure environment.
10. Maintain and develop recommendations for improving emergency and contingency planning documentation including physical preparations and procedures, to support preparedness for a crisis.
11. Deliver security training to staff and review security training needs in order to develop measures to meet business requirements.
12. Supervise and provide on-the-job training to other staff supporting their development and high performance.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Language : Fluency (level C) in English and Turkish language required. Knowledge/Fluency in Arabic is an asset.
Experience : Minimum of 6 years of professional experience in security operations
• Specialized knowledge of the application of practical methods, techniques, procedures and systems used in security, typically gained through technical training and work experience.
• Broad knowledge and understanding of security logistics, security administration, risk assessment and co-ordination with local authorities and local law enforcement agencies.
• Training and experience in fire and related intervention/evacuation procedures.
• Ability to manage emergency situations and remain calm.
• Attention to detail and constant vigilance in order to promptly detect any breach in security measures.
• Ability to interpret information, use judgement and inform supervisors of any incidents which might impact WFP staff and operations.
• Excellent communication skills in order to maintain frequent correspondence with both, internal staff and external authorities with regards to security advisories and security incidents.
• Willingness to attend security trainings and comply with UN Systems standards.
• Has gained sound knowledge of security operations technical processes
• Has provided technical guidance and training to staff members within area of expertise
• Has supported research and collation of data which feeds into reports that inform security operations activities
• Experience as Field or Local Security Associate or similar role within an international body (UN, EU, Embassy, etc) is an added value.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Strategic approach to security risk management||Demonstrates understanding of strategic approaches to security to identify potential threats. Contributes to the creation and implementation of WFPs mitigation measures.|
|Operational knowledge of security risk management||Demonstrates some understanding of day to day security operations. Contributes knowledge to development of resolutions to aspects of challenges faced, as directed.|
|Security resource management||Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and financial resource usage on a project-level basis.|
|Analysis and solution development||Demonstrates understanding of key UN inter-governmental body partner agencies. Understands implications of security information and reports and supports in the identification of mitigating actions against threats and vulnerabilities to WFP’s operations.|
|Planning compliance and emergency management||Supports in planning and prioritisation practices in-line with established security policies and procedures.|
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Internal candidates : https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=829448&company=C0000168410P
External candidates: https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=829448&company=C0000168410P
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.