Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, working in 177 countries and territories. In Bosnia and Herzegovina, UNDP is committed to helping the country through strengthened national and local capacities to carry out political, economic, and social reforms and promote development. In the programmatic period 2021-2025, United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework will guide the work of authorities in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) and the United Nations (UN). Commitment to work together and achieve priorities in BiH is expressed by: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and selected Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), future accession to the European Union, the Joint Socio-Economic Reforms (Reform Agenda) 2019-2022, and the human rights commitments of BiH, including other agreed international and regional development goals, and treaty obligations and conventions.
As part of the UNDP BiH’s Good Governance’s portfolio, The Economic Governance for Growth (EGG2) Project seeks to contribute to economic growth and entrepreneurship development, improving economic governance and fostering the growth of market-oriented capabilities for a knowledge-based economy.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and Portfolio Analyst, the Project Analyst will support the implementation of the “Economic Governance for Growth Project” project funded by the Kingdom of Norway. The Project Analyst will provide support in the implementation of the different project activities, that are coherent with the project framework. Project Analyst will support and closely coordinate with Project Manager regarding day-to-day implementation of project’s activities in BiH and contribute to smooth collaboration with implementing partners in delivery of project’s and other planned outputs. In addition, the Project Analyst will be responsible for tracking M&E indicators and overall reporting to donors/UNDP. Project Analyst will also support overall direction, development and oversight of work-plans, operational management, financial management, partnership collaboration and coordination, and regular reporting on activities in accordance with the relevant project document.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH Office in Sarajevo.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contribution to the overall implementation of Project activities and workplans:
- Support Project Manager in supervising and ensuring the timely implementation of the project activities as scheduled in the work plan.
- Preparing a detailed work plan for the project in cooperation with Project Manager and in consultation with the Project Board.
- Providing guidance and reviewing technical specifications of project outputs and activities.
- Supervising consultants and subcontractors engaged in delivering aspects of the project’s work plans.
- Organizing and coordinating project activities such as workshops, studies and publications, subcontracts, equipment, and administrative support.
- Helping in the identification of areas of critical interest for targeted support by the project, in cooperation with stakeholders;
- Encouraging shared learning with national partners.
- Supporting Project Manager in ensuring that the Project produces the outcomes at the required standards and within the specified cost and time limits.
- Providing project related advice in drafting tender documentations and participating in tender evaluation
- Coordinating the field activities among beneficiaries, consultants, services/goods providers, and others.
- Identifying and ensuring synergy with other relevant ongoing/new projects.
Provision of technical advice and support to implementation of the Project activities:
- Support Project Manager in development of Terms of References required to identify and facilitate engagement of experts and consultants.
- Co-developing relevant policy briefs, lessons learned documents, communication materials, website updates, and other relevant publications.
- Providing advice related to the project processes to the UNDP project team.
Monitoring and reporting of the overall Project activities:
- Coordinating and implementing the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework of the Project.
- Monitoring implementation of the project activities.
- Ensuring close coordination with project partners regarding field visits and overall tracking of M&E indicators.
- Proposing, developing, and implementing changes and/or new solutions for the M&E framework.
- Liaising with other UNDP projects and other relevant partners (including, but not limited to consultants, assistants, local governances representative) in the field to ensure coordinated implementation of the activities related to M&E process within the Project.
- Assessing all results and reports of existing M&E framework.
- Carrying out regular follow-up and monitoring of implementation activities.
- Carrying out regular monitoring and reporting on risk and mitigation measures.
- Ensuring timely preparation and submission of required reports, including technical and financial reports to relevant parties as well as bi-annual progress and expenditure reports, per the requirements of the donors.
- Providing regular updates on the Project’s progress to key stakeholders according to the communication plan.
- Conducting regular field monitoring visits in line with project plans (administrative, technical, and financial monitoring) and actively communicate any relevant information to the Project Manager.
- Collecting all relevant financial and other documentation, and control accuracy of reports on the expenditure of the funds.
- Keeping risk and issue logs based on the information acquired on the field.
- Providing regular progress reports regarding tracking of M&E indicators.
Supporting gender equality mainstreaming
- Supporting the Project Manager in ensuring gender mainstreaming throughout project implementation, as well as in ensuring gender sensitive work plans, budgets, reports, research, and analyses.
- Ensuring that all data when collected and compiled are gender and age disaggregated and evaluated from a gender point of view.
- Ensuring knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Project knowledge management activities and products.
The incumbent will report to the Project Manager, as part of the UNDP Local Development Portfolio within the Good Governance Sector.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
- Strategic thinking:
- Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward
- System Thinking:
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Effective Decision Making:
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Knowledge Generation:
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Tech Literacy:
- Ability to apply new digital tools or adapting their original use to create new insights, fresh perspectives or develop solutions. Understand the potential as well as the limitations of certain technological developments; being able to identify how technology can add value when it’s used as a “means to an end”
- Partnerships Management:
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Advocacy strategy and implementation:
- Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in business, economics, law, public administration or other related disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree in combination with 2 years of qualifying experience can be taken into consideration in lieu of Master`s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Bachelor`s degree) of relevant professional experience, including work experience with public sector ministries, national or local institutions.
- Fluency in English and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian.
- Experience in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting and networking.
- Experience in developing strategic documents, action plans and financing mechanisms in fields of project implementation, project monitoring and reporting.
- Experience in working with public sector institutions and donors.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Ability to identify discrimination, address it, and maintain an enabling working environment based on fairness, respect and freedom from any forms of harassment and abuse.
- Understand the language associated with gender, equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent understanding of development trends in BiH.
- Knowledge of digital education and research and development (R&D) in BiH would be considered an asset.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.