The Security Services (CSLS) aims to assure a safe and secure operating environment and the continuity of operations in FAO Offices worldwide, supporting implementation of core activities related to safety and security of FAO personnel worldwide, and ensuring FAO compliance to the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) guidelines and policy. The National Professional Officer (Safety and Security) supports the security aspects of FAO’s activities in Yaounde, Cameroon. He/she is additionally responsible for supporting the country’s UNSMS Designated Official for Security under the coordination of the Principal/Chief Security Adviser for the country.
The post is located in Security Services (CSLS) of the Logistics Services Division (CSL) and based in Yaounde, Cameroon.
The National Professional Officer (Safety and Security) works under the supervision of the FAO Representative in Cameroon with the technical guidance of the Chief, Security Services (CSLS) and the Regional Security Adviser (CSLS).
Provide operational support and advice to the FAO Representative on safety and security in the country.
Effective and efficient protection of the integrity of FAO premises, assets and operations, as well as safety and security of FAO personnel.
• Provide, in close collaboration with the Field Security Unit at headquarters, advice to the FAO Representative on maintaining the safety and security of FAO personnel, premises and assets, in line with UNSMS and FAO security management policies and guidelines.
• Support the monitoring and implementation, as necessary, of technical security measures as outlined in the Area Security Plan, Security Risk Management (SRM) process document, Residential Security Measures (RSM), Security Risk Compliance Assessments, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and associated documents.
• Support the monitoring of the security situation across the country, support the coordination of security risk assessments for the Country Office and sub-offices and provide the FAO Representative with an independent analysis of emerging security threats to FAO personnel, operations, premises and assets. Facilitate the implementation of recommended prevention and mitigation measures.
• Assist the FAO Decentralized Office in maintaining up-to-date security information, and prepare periodical situation reports, ensuring that the FAO Representative and the Field Security Unit at headquarters are regularly informed of the security situation.
• Prepare Contingency Plans and SOPs for the country office and sub-offices and be instrumental in implementing enhanced security measures.
• Conduct training/briefing on safety and security procedures, including convoy and evacuation procedures, and ensure personnel are familiar with and adhere to security guidelines and precautions.
• Delivery regular security briefings to all FAO personnel based in or on mission to the country.
• Systematically report security incidents to the FAO Representative and Field Security Unit at headquarters.
• Assist in conducting periodic security assessments of FAO premises and equipment; and provide advice on gaps in security preparedness with recommended improvements and solutions, as per the approved Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM).
• Provide support in the selection and procurement of appropriate security equipment/infrastructure.
• Ensure FAO’s participation in the United Nations Security Management Team (SMT) and Security Cell meetings, acting as second alternate to the FAO Representative at SMT meetings for Security Cell meetings. Support liaison with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) and relevant law enforcement authorities including national security agencies, as appropriate.
• Perform any other relevant duties.
• Support the implementation of and personnel’s participation in the FAO Emergency Notification System.
• Undertake missions to program sites and assess prevailing local security conditions, identifying security trends, and advise FAO personnel, project personnel and eligible family members of potential security issues.
• Support the planning and coordination of mandatory safety drills in FAO premises at the duty station.
• Support the management of security equipment and personnel, including inventory, the provision of extended training, and the performance of security contractors, guards and security escort personnel, if applicable.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of Cameroon.
• Advanced university degree in risk or emergency management, social/political science, military science, public administration, law enforcement, law or a related area.
• One year of relevant professional experience in risk management and/or safety and security service in a national security and/or military setting.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of French.
• Limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of English.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
• Extent and relevance of experience in risk management and/or safety and security service in a national security and/or military setting.
• Extent of knowledge of UNSMS or standard operational rules and procedures is considered a strong asset.