|Position Level||NS 1|
|Department||Office of Safeguards|
|Division||Office of Safeguards|
|Location||Asian Development Bank Headquarters|
|Date Posted||Thursday, September 14, 2023|
|Closing Date||Thursday, September 28, 2023 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)|
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Office of Safeguards (OSFG) established to implement and monitor ADB safeguards policy and procedures. It advises and supports ADB management, operational departments, and relevant parties including borrowers/clients in delivering development solutions in compliance with ADB’s safeguards policy. The Office of Safeguards has four teams: (i) Policy and Technical Services, (ii) Regional Operations Services 1, (iii) Regional Operations Services 2, and (iv) Private Sector/Pacific Operations Services.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Environment Officer will provide technical, analytical and coordination support in ensuring compliance of projects with ADB’s safeguards requirements for environment. Assist in policy compliance monitoring and reporting; and identification/preparation of knowledge products, services and partnerships in environment safeguards. The incumbent will report to the designated regional team head and international staff.
- Reviews project-related safeguards documents including Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environmental Management Plan (EMP) Environmental Assessment and Review Framework (EARF), Environment and Social Management System (ESMS), Program Safeguards System Assessment (PSSA), Environmental Due Diligence (EDD) reports and other related project documents with reference to environmental safeguards (Project Concept Papers, Report and Recommendation to the President and linked documents, Project Completion Reports, among others).
- Coordinates with OSR2 safeguards staff in ensuring quality control of project documents and environmental safeguards implementation including environmental monitoring and disclosure.
- Assists in tracking project compliance including tracking of monitoring reports.
- Assists in compiling relevant project data, visits the project site, verifies the accuracy of the environmental assessments during project processing and project implementation, discusses and agrees on implementation arrangements with government counterparts, consultants and affected groups, and provides analytical inputs in the preparation of the mission Aide Memoire and back-to-office report (BTOR) as required.
- Supports the review and update of policies related to environment safeguards, and related operations manuals.
- Reviews relevant ADB policies, operations manual, staff instructions, guidelines, handbooks and suggests measures to ensure consistency with ADB policy requirements.
- Supports the preparation of briefing papers, special reports and studies on safeguard policy and guidelines.
- Assists in the development of knowledge products and services, including the formulation of policies, guidelines and preparation of handbooks, best practice manuals, etc., by reviewing project design and implementation experiences, liaising with project practitioners and social science experts, and monitoring the applicability of current methods.
- Assists in the preparation of training modules and conduct of training programs on environment safeguards.
- Supports the maintenance of databases and tracking systems on environment safeguards, and guide/update staff in database maintenance.
- Supports the administration of technical assistance projects related to safeguards by monitoring progress of TA implementation, contracting consultants, supporting the organization and implementation of conferences and workshops by formulating budget, activity plans and work programs, among other tasks.
- Assists in engagement of safeguards consultants required to support in project preparation and implementation in accordance with ADB’s environment requirements including drafting TORs. Supervises selected consultant’s work and ensure required outputs are delivered in a timely manner. Manages the consultant’s contracts including issuance of variation, approving claims, etc.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of environmental planning and management or environmental engineering, environmental science, environmental economics, or related field; preferably with advanced training.
- At least 6 years work experience in environment or related field.
- Familiar with ADB’s safeguards requirements for environment and developing member countries’ environmental legislation and regulations.
- Proficient in the field of climate change, environmental planning and management, including environmental assessment, pollution prevention strategies, and other related tools/strategies.
- Aptitude to perform analytical and conceptual thinking.
- Proficiency in ADB-adopted computer applications.
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
- Superior client orientation, interpersonal and diplomatic skills and teamwork and ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 1.
The selected candidate, if new, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
The selected candidate will be required to sign a separate confidentiality agreement.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience. ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.