The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Reporting to: MEAL Team Leader
Direct reports: None
Technical reports: None
Unit/department: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning
Location: Balad Office with 75% travel within Salah Adin governorate
Authorization level: None
Overall purpose of the role:
The MEAL Officer will support DRC MEAL team in collection, analysis and use of monitoring and evaluation data for programme improvement, learning and demonstrating impact. The post holder will lead the implementation of standard monitoring and evaluation activities for projects at the field office.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
Monitoring, Data Collection, and Validation:
- Oversee M&E for designated areas, ensuring understanding of project indicators and timely data collection.
- Contribute to data collection through direct involvement in various field monitoring surveys, interviews, site monitoring, household surveys, market assessments, focus group discussions, and key informant interviews.
- Assist the MEAL Team Leader in ensuring adequate data collection tools for program activities according to MEAL indicators and planning trackers.
- Support the Team Leader in supervising, guiding, and conducting training sessions for DRC staff and enumerators involved in planned data collection processes.
- Ensure availability and responsiveness of all complaint channels.
- Follow up on the accountability workplan and track, revise, and update implementation on a daily basis.
- Promote awareness of DRC Community Feedback Mechanism (CFM) through meetings, awareness sessions, and presentations.
- Contribute to the development of case studies, success stories, and lessons learned reports.
- Ensure all received feedback, complaints, and requests for information are registered in the DRC online platform, producing monthly reports.
- Refer complaints, feedback, and requests to the relevant manager, and track completion and closure of each complaint, ensuring protection and confidentiality of complainants.
Reporting, Evaluation, and Learning:
- Ensure timely data collection for all projects and facilitate data dissemination through internal and external reports or summaries.
- Collaborate with the MEAL Team Leader to develop MEAL slides to share findings and lessons learning from the collected data and information in project review meetings, and close out meetings.
Supporting Partnerships Activities (as relevant):
- Foster effective communication and collaboration with partner organizations, acting as a focal point for one of the partners.
- Train and support partner staff in M&E plans, procedures, tools, and reporting standards.
- Ensure timely sharing of project data and information by partners.
Data and Information Management:
- Conduct regular data validation checks to identify and address errors or discrepancies.
- Support teams with information management efforts, liaising with database and project staff.
- Provide regular reports and data to the MEAL Team Leader and program teams.
Communication and Coordination:
- Prepare field data collection plans and liaise with relevant teams (safety and supply chain).
- Collaborate with other MEAL team members to support various tasks.
- Collaborate with implementing teams and the MEAL Team Leader to develop ME plans for project kick-off meetings.
- Support the identification, contracting, and administration of enumerators.
- Take part in the business committee selection panel.
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq program SOPs and Code of Conduct.
- Ensure compliance with DRC AGD policy and programmatic minimum standards.
- Ensure compliance with the zero-tolerance policy for Sexual Exploitation and Abuse.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Line Manager.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 1 year programming experience in humanitarian and development context with a specific focus on M&E.
- Competence using information technology including experience with word-processing, spreadsheets, and database software.
- Highly developed analytical and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication skills (reading, writing, speaking).
- Ability to write reports and communication pieces in English.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to determine priorities and attention to details.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, sound judgment, planning and team building and facilitating skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed.
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing M&E systems and tools for an INGOs.
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
- Experience with behavioral surveys, research methodologies, qualitative and quantitative research methods, data analysis and sampling techniques.
- Understanding of gender, protection, and human rights.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
Relevant university degree or similar education. Advanced degree will be an asset.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English (very good)
- Arabic (fluent)
- Other languages will be an asset
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Area MEAL team
- Country MEAL team
- Base and area management
- Programme team
- Fleet team
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
- Contract Length: 6 Months Extendable based on good performance and availability of funds.
- Salary Band: H
- Start Date: 01-November-2023
- Comprehensive health insurance for staff, spouse, and up to two children under 18.
- Personal Accident insurance coverage in the event of work-related accidents during working hours.
- Psychosocial support for staff and family members.
- Learning & Development opportunities for professional growth.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the Apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: [08-October-2023]
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo