WHO ARE WE?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, honesty, and transparency.
ABOUT THE JOB
The safety assistant and radio operator are to monitor and record all movement of DRC vehicles and staff, and radio traffic. S/He follows the security situation within the relevant area of operation, forwards information on any changes in the security to the safety Department, and always maintains a radio discipline. S/He forwards tasks to the drivers according to the needs set by the line and technical managers.
- To achieve the overall and specific position’s objectives the safety assistant and Radio Operator will perform the following tasks and undertake the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for the communications of the operation area allocated.
- Collecting daily operation location reports from relevant team leader/s
- Convey messages in a timely manner to the relevant people.
- Follow up the movement of the vehicles and staff at the operations area allocated.
- Maintain the HF and VHF radio system and safety mobile phone during operation time during in a week.
- Control the radio communications traffic; maintain radio discipline. Ensure use of correct radio communications terminology in every conversation.
- Ensure the availability of a duty driver 24 hours/7 days a week if required.
- Brief line manager, Area manager and head of safety immediately in the events of;
- Change in the security situation.
- Fire, theft, criminal act, assault, riot, involving DRC.
- Vehicle- or material breakdown involving DRC.
- Any other unforeseen urgent important matter.
- Priorities the action on messages and calls received according to the nature of urgency.
- Brief Kabul country office radio room about any vehicle convoys, staff movement, urgent messages, and issues related to the radio room equipment at the end of daily business.
- Maintain levels of confidentiality and secrecy with regard to the information received on staff movements and operations.
- Keep irrelevant people out of the radio room, as sensitive information is held within.
- Ensure all office keys are placed in the communal key press, in case of an emergency such as fire.
- Ensure all vehicles return to their duty station or parked in safe places.
- In concert with support services, provide plans for transportation along with driver schedules, ensuring the vehicle equipment are in the right place and in good condition as well as facilitating safe transportation for all staff.
- The track system will be monitored whenever DRC Units are deployed.
- Ensure DRC vehicle tracking devices are active before any movement is authorized.
- After receiving requests for movement by staff, assign a vehicle and log on to the movement board for later reference.
- Radio logs will be enveloped and stored every calendar month.
- Make sure that all the messages that are received are being relayed immediately to addresses, by preference in hardcopy or email.
- Check the radio room email at least once per hour.
- The radio operator will take responsibility for updating the Skype log.
- Update the contact list database for all DRC staff in the area.
- Update the call sign lists based on information received from the line manager (STL)/
- Perform any other tasks as instructed by the line manager, area manager, and Head of Safety.
- Prepare driver’s duty timetable (schedule) as required on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Other activities assigned by the Safety Team Leader.
- Contract length: till 31st of December 2023 with the possibility of extension.
- Band: NMI
- Designation of Duty Station: Jalalabad East Area Office with frequent travels in the provinces.
- DRC has Flexible working hours for Female staff as per DRC Policy.
- 13th month’s salary Will be paid by the end of each month with salary.
- Top-up credit card as per office regulations.
- 1+1 Health Insurance will be provided by DRC.
- Eid Bonus.
- DRC provide Transport allowance/ Transportation Facilities for female and people with disability.
- DRC Provides kindergarten/daycare allowance for max 2 children – Applicable for female mothers.
- Per diem allowance for employee and her Mahram – Applicable for female
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the DRC salary scale.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum At least 2 years of working experience as Radio operator or safety assistant including one year of relevant experience with INGO / international organization.
- Report-writing ability.
- Ability to communicate with national and international staff.
- High school or equivalent diploma from a recognized learning institution
- Verbal and written English, Pashtu and Dari.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking the below Apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV-only applications will not be considered.