Job Advertisement – Sudanese Only
Education Assistant – Wad Madani
The Norwegian Refugee Council has an interesting and rewarding opportunity to be part of our newest country of operation – Sudan.
- Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Education Assistant position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of Education activities in Aljazira state.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, and guidelines, with strict adherence to the Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding policies
- Assist with the implementation of the Education portfolio
- Prepare and develop status reports and other documents as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote the rights of refugees, IDPs, returnees and the host community in-line with SPERE and INEE Minimum Standards
- Promote and share ideas for project and activity improvement
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need using vulnerability criteria to support learner registration
- Provide daily support to education incentive staff and teachers, and supervise daily workers in line with programme objectives and NRC quality standards
- Ensure direct communication and feedback with beneficiaries and stakeholders at field level, with a focus on community leaders, headmasters/principals, teachers, and students
- Lead in mobilization and sensitization of community members
- Assist with capacity building activities for beneficiaries, with a focus on teachers
- Organize, support, and participate in Mother’s Groups, PTAs, School Improvement Plans and School-Based Management Committees
- Regularly travel to the field to support education/PSS interventions and classroom/WASH construction activities; monitor and ensure regular needs for supplies are met
- Organize and implement distributions of teaching and learning supplies and materials; maintain records of commodity movements and secure appropriate supporting documents
- Ensure ongoing monitoring and reporting of project outputs/outcomes at field level per the M&E plan and donor requirements
- Ensure schools and learning spaces are safe for children and report all protection concerns immediately
- Ensure complaints and feedback response mechanism is in place at field level
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line and/or technical manager.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: Education Coordinator
- Area operations: Support Assistants
- Staff capacity building: Education Coordinator, Education Team leader
- Implementation: Education Coordinator, Shelter/WASH Officer, M&E Assistant
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience working in a humanitarian/recovery context preferred.
- Experience working in complex and volatiles contexts preferred.
- Basic computer skills, including MS Word, Outlook and Excel required.
- Ability to work diligently both independently and in a team, setting required.
- Willingness to travel regularly to the field in under-resourced settings required.
- Fluency in Arabic, both written and verbal required; some English language skills preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Knowledge of the EiE context in Sudan is preferred
- Knowledge of the circumstances, needs and challenges displacement and conflict-affected refugee, host community, returnee and IDP children face preferred
- Experience with EiE and formal basic education in a humanitarian context preferred
- Experience working with children and/or educators preferred
- Experience liaising with and mobilizing local and community stakeholders preferred
- Field level experience with an NGO an asset
- Understanding of SPHERE and INEE Minimum Standards an asset
- Candidates with a university and/or advanced degree preferred; significant experience in the field of Education, PSS or Child Protection considered in lieu
- FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
2. Behavioural competencies (max 6)
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Performance Management
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
• The Job Description
• The Work and Development Plan
• The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
• The End-term Performance Review Template
• The NRC Competency Framework
4. We can Offer.
- Duty Station: Wad Madani, AlGazira state, Sudan.
- Contract Period: 3 months.
- Salary/Benefits: NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check that they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Candidates can apply through the labour office – Wad Madani, Aljazira state, Sudan.
- Also, to apply online please visit https://www.nrc.no/careers/
- Closing date: 12-10-2023.