Duties and Responsibilities
THE ORGANIZATIONAL SETTING
The Air Navigation Bureau (ANB) is responsible for providing technical guidance to the Air Navigation Commission (ANC), the Council, and the Assembly. ANB provides technical expertise in aviation-related disciplines to States, industry and all elements of the Organization. The Bureau is also responsible for maintaining and implementing the Global Aviation Safety Plan (GASP) and Global Air Navigation Plan (GANP), including its aviation system block upgrades as well as producing yearly safety and air navigation status reports. The Bureau develops technical studies and proposals for Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs), and Procedures for Air Navigation Services (PANS) for further processing by the governing bodies of ICAO. The Bureau also develops related procedures and guidance material. The Bureau also manages the Universal Safety Oversight Audit Programme (USOAP) and Continuous Monitoring Approach that monitors all States on a continuous basis.
The incumbent directly reports to the Chief/Programme Coordinator of the hiring section/unit and will provide efficient administrative support to the Chief/Programme Coordinator and technical officers to carry out the section/unit’s multidisciplinary work programmes.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Provides administrative and technical support to the planning and implementation of the section/unit’s work programmes, achieving results such as:
• Assist in the preparation of the triennial budget in relation to work programmes.
• Assist in the review, update and amendment of the section/unit work programmes.
• Liaise with parties concerned on the production of briefings and analysis under the section/unit responsibilities.
• Maintain the section/unit’s website, ensuring the information thereon is up to date.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Assists in the quality management of working documents, achieving results such as:
• Assist in reviewing and finalizing Council/Commission working papers, reports, briefing notes, PowerPoint presentations, etc. on subjects related to the section/unit’s activities. Proofread documents for completeness, accuracy and grammar.
• Ensure accuracy, completeness and conformity with established procedures.
• Assist in the preparation of technical manuals and other documents before submitting them to the Editorial Unit (EDL).
• Liaise with staff across the bureau and with other bureaus for the editing, translation and posting on the ICAO-NET of documents, including the Annexes and manuals, etc.
• Assemble/collate and proofread relevant input for ICAO publications, such as the Annual Council report and the ICAO Safety Report as well as external publications concerning the section/unit’s activities and disciplines for review by the section/unit’s Chief/Programme Coordinator and liaise with parties concerned.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Provides administrative/technical support to the expert groups (panels and study groups, etc.) of the section/unit, achieving results such as:
• Assist Secretaries of panels and other expert groups in maintaining the websites of expert groups, including updating relevant information and uploading working papers, etc.
• Assist in editing and formatting incoming discussion and information papers from expert group members and advisers, in accordance with ICAO criteria.
• Draft letters, memoranda, reports and various correspondence from verbal instructions or handwritten drafts in accordance with ICAO practices and procedures.
• Assist in the conduct of expert group meetings, providing services such as collecting, preparing and distributing documentation.
• Verify the accuracy of material leaving the Section. Proofread and reviewed for correctness and format correspondence documentation and other written materials in conformity with established standards and procedures.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Contributes to the management, assignment and monitoring of tasks related to the delivery of the section/unit’s work programme, as well as their timely completion and provides administrative support for pre-meeting/event and workshop preparations, achieving results such as:
• Provide administrative support to the section/unit’s Chief/Programme Coordinator and respective Technical Officers and Technical Clerk by tracking and raising alerts, when necessary, on task progress and taking necessary follow-up action to respect deadlines.
• Liaise with the ANB Events Organizer on the section/unit’s related events, such as conferences, workshops and symposia.
• Assist in the preparation of conferences/workshops/symposia in coordination with the section/unit’s Chief/Programme Coordinator and Technical Officers.
• Assist with the management of the meeting/event website.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Provides administrative support for pre-meeting/event preparations, achieving results such as:
• Liaise with ANB Events Organizer and Regional Officers on related events, such as pre-registration for conferences/workshops/symposia and collection of credentials, as required.
• Provide assistance with pre-meeting preparations in collaboration with the section/unit’s Chief/Programme Coordinator, Technical Officers and other ANB administrative support staff, when necessary.
• Assist with the management of the meeting/event websites.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other duties, as assigned
• Completion of secondary school.
• Completion of courses in office automation and/or computer courses in Microsoft Word, Excel , SharePoint, PowerPoint and other contemporary software.
Professional experience and knowledge:
• A minimum of four years experience in office administrative procedures and practices.
• Experience in the use of office automation techniques and contemporary software, particularly in Microsoft Word, Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint.
• Experience in website design, and other advanced software applications, such as Photoshop Illustrator, Corel Draw, Acrobat and graphic design skills.
• Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English are essential.
• A working knowledge of a second language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
It should be noted that this post is to be filled for a period of 11 months. Please note that the monthly rate for Band A varies from CAD $3,991 and CAD $5,172.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.