Result of Service
Based on the composition of the portfolio of new and ongoing evaluation processes being managed by the Evaluation Office, the Individual Contractor will submit a progress report every month during the contract period.
Home-Based – Nairobi
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations systems designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. This position is located at Headquarters in the Evaluation Office which reports directly to the Executive Director. The position reports to the Senior Evaluation Officer. This post is located in UNEP/EO at the Nairobi duty station.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Individual Contractor takes a lead role in ensuring adherence to organizational standards and programme quality through the planning, implementation, coordination and reporting of evaluations required by the UN General Assembly and the UNEP Evaluation Policy.
Under the guidance and overall supervision of the Senior Evaluation Officer, the Individual contractor will perform the duties listed below. He/She will function as part of the core team of the Evaluation Office.
1. Provide overall management of field- and desk-based evaluations for selected projects.
2. Liaise with Task/Portfolio Managers to draft Terms of Reference and plan the work of consultant contractors hired to perform project evaluations.
3. Identify evaluation consultant contractors, review their credentials and make recommendations for the selection of qualified consultants to form appropriately qualified evaluation teams.
4. Review and assess the work of consultant contractors; review and assess the quality of consultant’s deliverables in draft form and prepare comments to ensure that final evaluation reports reach the highest standards possible.
5. Engage all relevant parties, including UNEP staff and colleagues in partnering organizations, in participatory evaluation processes.
6. Ensure lessons learned and recommendations are reflected effectively in the final evaluation reports; lead a process of planning for actions to be taken in response to the evaluation recommendations and assess compliance with Recommendation Implementation Plans at regular intervals.
7. Assist the Evaluation Office in developing communication products and disseminating them through online platforms and/or in presentations.
8. Contribute to the development and circulation of evidence-based knowledge.
9. Perform other related duties as may be required.
Advanced university degree (Masters level) in Environmental Science/Studies, Business Administration, Planning, Management, Social/Political Science, Communications, Auditing or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a relevant field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
A minimum of five years’ experience in any of the fields of monitoring, evaluation, auditing or systematized knowledge management is required.
Evaluation work experience with the UN or other international agencies or NGOs is considered and is required.
Language : English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in oral and
written English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.