- Job-ID: V000057111
- Location: Berlin
- Assignment period: 11/01/2023 – 09/30/2024
- Field: Peace, Security and Emergency
- Type of employment: full- or part-time
- Application deadline: 11/20/2023
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federal German enterprise and supports the German Government to achieve its policy objectives in international cooperation and sustainable development. The department International Services is an integral part of GIZ and provides its services to international clients such as the European Union (EU), bi- and multilateral organisations, national governments as well as private sector companies.
“Enhancing Security Cooperation in and with Asia” is a project within the framework of the EU Partnership Instrument to support tailor-made security cooperation in and with the Indo-Pacific region, co-financed by the EU and the German Federal Foreign Office and implemented by GIZ International Services in cooperation with Expertise France (EF).
The overall objective of the project is to enhance the EU’s security and defence cooperation in and with Asia. Specifically, deeper and more operational security dialogues with partner countries shall be supported; greater convergence between the policies and practices of the EU and the partner countries, including related gender equality policies and links to National Action Plans on UNSCR 1325 on women, peace and security, shall be promoted; and international awareness and acknowledgement of the EU as a security provider shall be increased.
The action shall help to establish close and sustainable cooperation links with relevant actors in the Indo-Pacific region (including India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) in four thematic pillars: (1) Counter-Terrorism and Preventing and Countering of Violent Extremism (CT-P/CVE), (2) cyber security, (3) maritime security and (4) crisis management (CSDP/peacekeeping operations and hybrid threats), with GIZ being in charge of the thematic pillars (1) and (4).
The thematic area of Crisis Management covers cooperation in various fields, including but not limited to building awareness and knowledge about Common Security and Defence Policy, experience sharing, capacity building and promoting alignment on policies, standards and procedures relating to peacekeeping and disaster preparedness, as well as to crisis management (e.g. emergency response and disaster relief) and countering hybrid threats (i.a. disinformation and Foreign Information Manipulation and Interference). The advertised position shall contribute expertise on countering hybrid threats.
- Drafting work plans and concept notes for the thematic pillar Crisis Management and specifically hybrid threats;
- coordinating and organising activities implemented under the thematic pillar (e.g. workshops, conferences, training courses, etc.);
- coordinating with relevant thematic stakeholders in Europe and in the partner countries in close coordination with EU Delegations;
- ensuring alignment with activities being implemented by Expertise France;
- identifying, mobilizing and supporting short-term experts in coordination with the project management;
- regular participation in relevant project activities in Europe and in partner countries;
- establishing and maintaining cooperation with networking institutions in close coordination with the project management;
- contributing to implementing the Communication & Visibility Plan of the project;
- monitoring activities implemented under the thematic pillar and contributing to the overall reporting;
- frequent travels to the partner countries.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master’s level degree in law, political sciences, public policy, or any other field relevant for the project.
- Results-oriented in performing tasks with attention to details, from demand-based planning through implementation and reporting.
- Strong, demonstrated ability to translate strategic orientations into operational guidance and implementation.
- Expert knowledge on the above-described thematic area of Crisis Management with a particular focus on countering hybrid threats.
- Sound understanding of the EU ecosystem regarding Crisis Management, including policies, stakeholders and practices, equivalent national-level approaches of EU Member States, and bi- and multilateral security cooperation mechanisms between the EU and Indo-Pacific region.
- A good knowledge and cultural understanding of the Indo-Pacific and its security context. Experience in working in/with countries in Southeast Asia and the Pacific would be an advantage.
- Confident in operating in a politically sensitive environment on security issues.
- Strong team player with very good communication skills for liaising with stakeholders from different sectors in an intercultural setting.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- Proficiency in German would be an advantage.
- At least 7 years of professional experience in advising national and international partners, mainly public entities (foreign offices / ministries of foreign affairs, ministries of defence) on policy issues including in the field of Crisis Management.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in managing complex policy, planning and implementation processes that require coordination with a wide range of stakeholders, including the higher political level.
- Experience in organising high-level international conferences and events.
- Solid track record of establishing partnerships and cooperation mechanisms with officials at all levels from foreign governments, security forces and multinational organisations in the Indo-Pacific region with a focus on ESIWA partner countries.
- Well connected to professional networks of governmental and non-governmental practitioners and experts both in the EU and Asian partner nations, particularly in ESIWA partner countries, and with emphasis on the discipline of Crisis Management.
- Proven track record of working with EU institutions and/or EU Member States national ministries would be a strong asset.
- Work experience in one or several of the partner countries would be an advantage.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time (80%) position.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.
The performance of duties involves regular business travel in excess of three months per year.
Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.