The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
The Translator provides support mainly to the IFRC Libya Delegation in the delivery of Translation services for Libya storm, in particular in support of the network building, stakeholders meetings, field visits, translating during management meetings. He/she will also transform Arabic narrative reports into English & vice versa. She/He will also be assisting Libyan Red Crescent Society to prepare the operational narrative reports, coordinates with operational divisions in Libyan RCS to collect and receive data for reports. More a field-based role as every field visit the interactions with communities, branches, staff/volunteers, religious leaders, media state Governors, city councillors, municipalities, is conducted in Arabic as the only mode of communication.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Accompany the IFRC staff and facilitate their communication with the LRCS and the community through providing simultaneous translation
- Check original texts or confer with authors to ensure that translations retain the content, meaning, and feeling of the original material.
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms such as those for legal or specific to Red Cross Movement.
- Discuss translation requirements with project managers/non-Arabic speaking staff, and advice on the time frame of service delivery.
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials.
- Read written materials such as legal documents, scientific works, or news reports, and rewrite material into specified languages-from English to Arabic and vice versa.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Refer to reference materials such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopaedias, and computerized terminology banks as needed to ensure translation accuracy.
- Translate messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages, orally, maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible.
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviours.
- Assisting all visiting technical experts from IFRC and Partner National Societies during field missions to connect with stakeholders.
- Interpreting the Meaning of Information for Others — Translating or explaining what information means and how it can be used.
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
Master’s degree in linguistics (English). – Preferred
Willing to travel to field. – Required
- Experience of working with the Red Cross or with another humanitarian or international organization an added advantage. – Preferred
- Experience in providing professional translation to non-Arabic speakers. – Required
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Committed to the Red Cross Red Crescent mission and principles. – Required
- Ability to work under pressure. – Required
- Flexibility. – Required
- Computer literate. – Required
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. – Required
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively. – Required
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents. – Required
- Writing — Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience. – Required
- Fluent spoken and written Arabic — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. – Required
- Fluent spoken and written English — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. – Required
Competencies, Values and Comments
- Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability.
- Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust.
Note: this recruitment will be done on a rolling basis.
IFRC provides equal employment opportunities.