FAO, in collaboration with the government, UN organizations, and development partners, began serving both the host communities and the Rohingya population in building their livelihoods and skill development opportunities and ensuring environmental Integrity in Cox’s Bazar in October 2017.
The National Climate-Smart Agriculture Specialist at SC 8 will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative to Bangladesh and direct supervision of the Emergency and Resilience Programme Coordinator in Cox’s Bazar, in close collaboration with project and country office staff.
The incumbent will support adopting and expanding climate-smart agricultural practices in Cox’s Bazar and support and promote food security in the Bangladeshi host communities and Rohingya camps.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide technical guidance and oversight on climate-smart agriculture/conservation agriculture (CSA/CA), mechanization and post-harvest activities
• Provide technical advice to the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and the Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE), at the central and municipal levels, other relevant government institutions and development partners on supporting CSA/CA institutionalisation
• Supervise CSA/CA implementation activities in close cooperation with national project teams
• Mentor the relevant project staff and MoA extensionists on the benefits and advantages of CSA/CA and how to facilitate adoption and expansion
• Conduct field visits, as required, and observe farmers’ experience in implementing CSA/CA and provide technical guidance
• Contribute to the development of private-public partnerships, targeting farmers and small agri-businesses and market-oriented services
• Provide technical support to MoA in developing and strengthening CSA/CA-related policies
• Provide technical advice and lead the development of CSA/CA-related training manuals and agroforestry and post-harvest guidelines
• Collect, synthesize, and analyze data and information from different research platforms, farmer field schools (FFS), and farmers adopting CSA/CA
• Prepare technical reports on the validation of CSA/CA options
• Prepare project implementation reports to CSA/CA, mechanization and post-harvest activities.
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agronomy, economics, social or natural sciences, or other related disciplines
• At least 7 years’ experience in sustainable, climate-smart, or conservation agriculture, with field experience
• National of Bangladesh
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and Bengali
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Ability to perform in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary contexts;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required;
• Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision;
• Experience in complex/protracted emergencies would be an asset
• Self-motivation, willingness to learn and strong work ethic in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Experience in conflict-sensitive and peacebuilding programmes would be an asset
• Demonstrated experience in policy and project design and project implementation related to CSA/CA