FAO, in collaboration with the government, UN organizations, and development partners, began serving both the host communities and the Rohingya population in building their livelihoods and skill development opportunities and ensuring environmental Integrity in Cox’s Bazar in October 2017.
The Value Chain Development Specialist at SC 8 will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative to Bangladesh, direct supervision of the Emergency and Resilience Programme Coordinator in Cox’s Bazar, and the day-to-day guidance of the Project Coordinator.
The incumbent will support the development of value chains relevant to horticulture and high-value crop production, aquaculture and fisheries, or livestock and dairy, among others. This position requires a strong background in developing agricultural market systems and value chains to support food security systems.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Analyze technical and policy issues, strategies and programmes to support the development, competitiveness, inclusiveness and improved impacts of agribusiness, food systems and value chain development;
• Participate in developing and reviewing information materials, technical papers, and guidelines related to agribusiness, value chains, food system development, investment strategy development, market and policy analysis, improving business enabling environment, institutional strengthening, contract farming, digital solutions/technologies for value chain development, marketing and market linkages, and public-private partnerships
• Contribute to the appraisal of the capacity needs of beneficiaries and implementing partners related to agribusiness and value chain development
• Contribute to the development and conduct of training materials and courses
• Contribute to the collection and dissemination of relevant data and information related to agricultural and development economics, agribusiness, and value chains
• Contribute to the organization of and/or participate in meetings, conferences, workshops, consultations and field visits as needed; contribute to building collaborations and partnerships;
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Master’s degree in agricultural science, agribusiness, international business or related discipline
• Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience on agribusiness or market development or agricultural value chain analysis and development
• National of Bangladesh
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and Bengali
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Knowledge of national food systems and agricultural value chain systems
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Ability to perform in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary contexts;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required;
• Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision;
• Experience in complex/protracted emergencies would be an asset
• Self-motivation, willingness to learn and strong work ethic in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Experience in conflict-sensitive and peacebuilding programmes would be an asset