Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The Water Economy and Climate Change (WE&CC) Global Solutions Group (GSG) of the World Bank Water Global Water Practice was established in November 2021 to spearhead analytical and advisory activities that address critical knowledge gaps on water and climate economics and provide strategic guidance on operation design and policy dialogue. The GSG also provides analytical support to Water GP regional teams to deliver Water Security Diagnostics (WSD) and Country Climate and Development Reports (CCDRs). For these purposes the GSG undertakes various activities: producing Water GP flagship report, contributing publications and policy notes on policy issues of strategic importance, developing various analytical tools and guidance notes, and improving data curation, mapping, and diagnostics.
The GSG works closely with the other GSGs of the Water GP (Water Resources Management, Water in Agriculture, and Water Supply and Sanitation), economists from across the Bank, as well as and external research organizations to forge partnerships on agendas of mutual interest.
The contract term is set for an initial period of year, with the possibility of extension.
Duties and accountabilities
The main objective of the ET Consultant is to support the implementation of the work program of the WE&CC GSG by providing research and analytical support. The ET Consultant will report to the Global Lead of the WE&CC GSG and shall maintain close working relations with the other team members in the Global Unit of the Water GP. The main accountabilities of the ET Consultant will include the following:
1) Contributing to Water GP flagship reports by conducting independent data collection and empirical analysis on topics such as water and economic development, water, and energy nexus, decarbonization in the water sector and water and climate adaptation.
2) Contributing to micro-econometric and geospatial analysis using software packages such as STATA, R, Python
3) Supporting analytical work, for example by synthesizing information and reviewing academic literature, conducting independent data collection and analysis, and contributing to the drafting of research studies, policy notes, and flagships
4) Contributing to water data initiatives, such as data collection, curation and management
5) Assisting with other activities of GSG, as needed
• Master’s degree in economics or related fields and minimum of 5 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong analytical and conceptual skills
• Proven ability to manage large and complex databases and develop summary analysis, including summary tables and charts, and sound analytical and problem-solving skills including a knowledge of statistical applications and techniques.
• Strong skills and demonstrated experiences with managing and analyzing geospatial data.
• Strong oral and communication skills in English
• Ability to deliver results effectively in support of the team.
• Highly motivated and results-oriented with initiative, persistence, and a positive attitude.
• Ability to take personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work under pressure and work flexibly on a range of assignments, and adjust to and prioritize a variety of evolving tasks.
Poverty has no borders. Neither does excellence. This is why we continually search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.