Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together implementing country and donor governments, the World Health Organisation, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of more than 1 billion children and the prevention of more than 16.2 million future deaths.
Please note this is a temporary role, until 31st December 2025.
Reporting to the Director, Measurement, Evaluation and Learning, the Senior Manager will lead the development of Gavi’s MEL strategy and coordinate implementation of the Learning System.
Key functions and deliverables:
• Lead design of Gavi’s MEL strategy providing through leadership and process oversight;
Provide strategic leadership and process oversight for design of Gavi’s MEL strategy and implementation of the Learning System:
• Design and lead the process for developing Gavi’s MEL strategy and Learning System through researching and benchmarking promising practices, developing strategic positioning and building consensus;
Plan and execute the MEL department performance, audit, risk monitoring and reporting processes:
• Coordinate and manage key strategic planning business activities including within and cross-departmental work planning and team performance/health/audit/risk monitoring and reporting;
Provide support to MEL and other Gavi teams to ensure robust monitoring and learning:
• Lead intelligence gathering/horizon scanning/planning and communication to MEL Department on opportunities for evidence generation/use and facilitate feedback from MEL to other teams and initiatives;
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
• Minimum of 8 years of professional experience, including significant experience in managing complex projects with diverse multisector stakeholders from strategy to implementation;
• Direct experience in monitoring/performance management, evaluation or learning is required, including experience with qualitative and quantitative analysis methods;
• Experience in global health, healthcare, development or the non-profit sector is essential.
• Structured strategic thinking and strong problem-solving skills; a logical thinker with intellectual curiosity and the ability to think strategically and interpret/synthesize large amounts of information;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively including relationship development and ability to drive consensus/influence diverse stakeholders with respect, tact and discretion;
• Excellent analytical and project management skills;
• Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Sharepoint, Teams)
• Ability to work independently, under pressure, demonstrating initiative and flexibility;
• A team player, collaborative, organised, detail-oriented;
• Adaptability to changing business needs and ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities, delivering high quality work within tight deadlines.
• Fluent English is required;
• French is an asset.
• Advanced university degree in business administration, public health, economics, or international development is required.
• MEL Management team;
• Collaboration with MEL staff and close engagement with programmatic departments (e.g. Strategy, Funding and Performance; Country Programmes Delivery) and Public Engagement and Information Services;
• Frequent engagement with Alliance partners (e.g. WHO, UNICEF, World Bank, CDC).
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Senior Manager, Measurement, Evaluation and Learning Strategy (temporary)”. Deadline for applications is 13 November 2023.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork
In support of Gavi’s commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion, we hire globally and welcome applications regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, national origin, family status, sex, gender identity or expression, physical characteristics, race, religion, spirituality or sexual orientation. Gavi has zero tolerance towards sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse as well as any form of discrimination or harassment. Everyone at Gavi is expected to conduct themselves with integrity and respect towards each other. Gavi is committed to creating a work environment that is safe and professional, therefore all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference checks. Read more here.
Gavi brings together the public and private sectors to save lives and protect people’s health by increasing equitable and sustainable use of vaccines against 18 infectious diseases. You will be joining an organisation at the centre of the international COVID-19 response, at the most critical time in global health in a lifetime. You will work in a culturally diverse environment with over 70 nationalities. You will collaborate with partners such as WHO, UNICEF, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Bank – and from business, civil society and government. And you will work in the first global health organisation to receive equal gender salary certification. Your unique experience, skills and talents can help us achieve our vision of leaving no one behind without the life-saving power of vaccines.