Terms of Reference
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full-time internship with the Private Sector Partnership Service for Asia under the Division of External Relations at UNHCR Asia Pacific in Bangkok Thailand.
Established in December 1950, UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for asylum seekers, refugees, returnees, internally displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. UNHCR currently operates in over 130 countries, using its long expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Private Sector Communications Intern
Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand
Duration: 6 months
Contract Type: Internship
Start date: 1 December 2023
The Private Sector Communications Intern will be part of UNHCR’s Private Sector Partnerships Service for Asia (PSP Asia), based in Bangkok, Thailand. PSP Asia works closely with UNHCR’s Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific, as well as country offices across the Asia-Pacific region.
PSP Asia is seeking this intern for a period of six months, starting as soon as possible. This is an exciting opportunity for someone seeking professional experience in fundraising and marketing communications in a dynamic and challenging area of work – supporting the refugee cause from the regional level.
Duties and responsibilities
• Contribute to developing and updating content and the platforms used to share content across teams and offices.
• Media and social media monitoring and reporting.
• Supporting capacity development activities, meetings and conferences by engaging with facilitators and hosts; arranging times through liaising with participants over availability; and preparing background materials for participants.
• Taking minutes of meetings and keeping the correspondence of the team well organized.
• Providing administrative and other support as required.
Minimum qualifications required
In order to be considered for an internship, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
• Be either a recent graduate (having completed their studies within two years of applying) or a current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by IAU/UNESCO; and
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of UNHCR.
Note: An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible for an internship.
Desirable qualifications and skills
• Excellent command of English (written and verbal) is required.
• Strong organizational, planning and prioritizing skills and abilities, with excellent attention to detail.
• Enthusiasm for all things communications (media, content, digital, etc.).
• High sense of professionalism, confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
• Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required. Knowledge of other online tools such as SharePoint and Canva is an asset.
It is a full-time role with working hours from 9.00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Allowance: Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party will receive an allowance to partially help to cover the cost of food, local transportation and living expenses. The allowance will be paid in Thai Bath at THB 27,895.41 per month (approximately USD 798.38).
Location: This internship is to be based in the UNHCR Regional Bureau for Asia Office in Bangkok, Thailand.
Visas and Residencies: As the given duty station is Bangkok, applicants should be able to demonstrate permission to reside and legally work in the Thailand at the point of application for duration of the internship. Obtaining and renewing current visas and residence permits including all associated costs, are the primary responsibility of the intern. UNHCR may assist by providing supporting documentation if needed.
Insurance: Interns are fully responsible for arranging medical insurance covering the full internship. A copy of proof of a valid medical insurance covering the period of the Internship Agreement is required by UNHCR.
Brand Communications, CO – Blogging, CO-Data Visualisation Techniques/Software, CO-Digital content production, CO-Digital Journalism, CO-Drafting and Documentation, CO – Drafting and editing content for International Organizations, CO-Editing, CO-Graphic design, website design, CO-Journalism (incl. print, broadcast, photography, video, layout & graphics), CO-Media relations, CO-Photojournalism, photo editing (Photoshop), CO-Publication skills, CO-Public Information, CO-Public Speaking, CO-Reporting, writing, editing for magazines, newspapers and websites, CO-Reporting skills, CO-Social media campaigns/community management, CO-Social media content production, CO-Social media monitoring and evaluation, CO-Video production for digital platforms (including news organizations), Digital Communications, Marketing Communications (MarCom), Visual Communications, Voice Communications
Bachelor of Arts (BA): Communication
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance