Standard Job Description
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Under the overall supervision of a (Senior) IT Officer, the IT Associate provides reliable and timely IT services on the application and infrastructure of UNHCR standard IT services in the Area of Responsibility (AoR). S/he normally receives technical guidance from a (Senior) IT Officer for the Telecom/IT infrastructure in the region in which the field or emergency operation exists. In offices where there is no IT Officer, direct supervision may be exercised by the (Snr) Admin Officer as applicable in the duty station.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist in on-site needs assessment and installation and maintenance of UNHCR Telecommunications and IT equipment.
– In consultation with the supervisor, establish the IT requirements in field operations, considering the overall IT and Telecom strategy of the region, the operational needs and the security constraints.
– Install and configure the most appropriate type of UNHCR IT and Telecommunications systems (HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave Links, Telephony, and satellite systems) to meet the field and emergency operations immediate IT needs.
– Ensure that the equipment under his/her responsibility is in good working condition, by inspecting regularly the hardware and installations. If required, arrange promptly repairs or replacement as necessary according to established procedures.
– Maintain records of the installations and repairs/replacements done and keep the supervisor fully informed on the status of the equipment.
– Provide each office, where equipment is installed, with full information for their asset management records.
– If applicable, keep a proper inventory level of all sites spares and return spare parts for repair/replacement.
– Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
– Add or remove users from the Network.
– Assist in the maintenance of accurate records of users and usage of the Network.
– Carry out minor hardware maintenance.
– Provide Technical Briefing/Training on the equipment to local IT resources and users, including IPs, ensuring that they are able to maintain/use the equipment.
– Assist in the development and configuration of IT and Telecom Equipment/Kits used in field operations and emergencies.
– Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents / problems.
– Escalate issues to supervisor if incident / problem cannot be resolved with scope of responsibility.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience relevant to the function or particularly on HF/VHF radio or IT systems, PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems.
Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset. Previous experience in Emergencies is an advantage.
TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The ICT Associate is responsible for planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining the network and communication infrastructure. This role involves overseeing network security, optimizing performance, and ensuring reliable communication systems to support the organization’s operations. The ICT Associate plays a critical role in maintaining the integrity and functionality of an organization’s IT network and communication systems. User support is considered essential and one of the main functions for this position as the ICT Associate incumbent will be providing IT support to the NRC as a priority and will dedicate at least 50% of the time to perform this task in a timely manner.
The ICT Associate is expected to act as a backup for the Telecom focal point in programming, assigning, and troubleshooting VHF handheld radios as well as Mobile VHF radios in cars. The ICT Associate will participate in technical evaluation committees for any ICT procurement/infrastructure projects for the organization and/or Government partners. The ICT Associate is expected to provide support and technical solutions to Protection activities including Helplines and National Call Centre. The ICT Associate is expected to oversee all voice and data communication systems ie VoIP, Video Conferencing, VSat, Thuraya. The ICT Associate will manage Cloud-managed data for Reg, RSD, and RST.
The Desired Candidate should have previous Relevant UN experience working in ICT, or international humanitarian organizations in Lebanon, with a particular focus on designing, implementing, managing, and maintaining the organization’s computer networks. Their primary focus is to ensure that the network infrastructure operates efficiently, securely, and reliably.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
IT-Computer Literacy, IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software, TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
Information Technology – Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Innovation & creativity, Organizational awareness, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance