Result of Service
The Consultant (Artificial Intelligence Expert) is envisaged to support UNICRI and its Centre for AI and Robotics, in particular with reference to the AI for Safer Children initiative. More specifically, the Consultant will provide technical insights in order support the implementation of both projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI) is a United Nations entity established in 1968 to support countries worldwide in preventing crime and facilitating criminal justice. UNICRI is mandated to assist intergovernmental, governmental and non-governmental organizations in formulating and implementing improved policies in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice. UNICRI’ s goals are:
• to advance understanding of crime-related problems;
• to foster just and efficient criminal justice systems;
• to support the respect of international instruments and other standards;
• to facilitate international law enforcement cooperation and judicial assistance.
In 2017, UNICRI established its Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, which seeks to advance understanding of AI, robotics and related technologies vis-a`-vis crime prevention, criminal justice, rule of law and security; to support and assist United Nations Member States in understanding the risks and benefits of these technologies; and to explore their contribution for a future free of violence and crime. The Centre implements two main projects: i) the Toolkit for Responsible AI Innovation in Law Enforcement, a practical and operationally oriented guide for law enforcement agencies to develop and implement AI in a responsible and human rights compliant manner, and ii) the AI for Safer Children initiative which strives to support law enforcement agencies to tap into the potential of AI and has designed the AI for Safer Children Global Hub – a unique centralized and secure platform for law enforcement agencies – to support them to do so.
Under the supervision of the Head of Unit, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
• Contribute to the work of the team in realization of the foreseen outcomes and outputs and in further developing the existing objectives and activities through technical research and analysis.
• Monitor trends and developments regarding artificial intelligence and related-technologies, cataloguing and storing relevant resources, as well as ensuring the project team is informed.
• Monitor relevant activities of Member States, International Organizations and relevant initiatives of industry partners, cataloguing and storing relevant resources, as well as ensuring the project team is informed.
• Support meetings, training courses, seminars, workshops, awareness-raising and promotional events, including by providing technical inputs to agendas and materials, as well as actively participating during events.
• Assist in preparing reports and other publications, researching and analyzing relevant background documentation as required.
• Any other research-related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in computer science, data science, information technology or artificial intelligence is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and related new technologies is required.
Experience conducting research in relevant fields is required.
Experience working with law enforcement agencies in the field of AI and new technologies is highly desirable.
Experience working with international organizations is also desirable.
For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.