|Position Level||IS 6|
|Department||Office of Safeguards|
|Division||Office of Safeguards|
|Location||Asian Development Bank Headquarters|
|Date Posted||Friday, November 3, 2023|
|Closing Date||Friday, November 17, 2023 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)|
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Office of Safeguards (OSFG). OSFG was established to implement and monitor ADB’s safeguards policy and procedures. It advises and supports ADB management operational departments, and relevant parties, including borrowers/clients in delivering development solutions in compliance with ADB’s safeguards policy. The Office of Safeguards has four teams: (i) Policy and Technical Services, (ii) Regional Operations Services 1, (iii) Regional Operations Services 2, and (iv) Private Sector/Pacific Operations Services.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Safeguards Specialist leads in providing operational coordination on environmental safeguards, and specific technical and procedural inputs, to selected PSOD projects to ensure compliance with ADB’s environmental safeguard policies and procedures during project preparation and implementation. This is an operational, hands-on role, and the position will be expected to provide solutions with minimal support. The position also supports the planning, development and implementation of ADB environmental safeguards policies within PSOD and across ADB. The incumbent will report to Head OSFG and will supervise national and administrative staff, as needed.
Safeguard Policy Compliance Monitoring
- Supports Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD) line divisions in developing, structuring and monitoring environmental safeguards policy compliance of projects during processing and implementation; and
- Independently identifies, monitors and reports to OSFG management on projects with high environmental safeguards sensitivity.
- Leads and independently develops and administers as needed technical assistance (TA) and other training programs for client capacity building, especially with regards to environmental and social management system development and implementation.
- Supports PSOD management and the safeguards team to develop projects or programs with a specific safeguards or environmental focus.
Policy Review and Knowledge Sharing
- Supports safeguard policy/operation manual formulation and review; and
- Contributes to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to ADB’s safeguard policies and their effective application, for instance in client environmental and social management systems.
- Supervises the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance; and
- Ensures the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree, or equivalent, in environmental management, environmental science, or other related fields;
• At least 12 years of relevant hands-on professional experience in environmental and safeguards work, or related areas and in project administration.
• International experience working in development in several countries, coordinating and working in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Experience with developing or implementing EHS management plans and systems to ensure safeguards outcomes are achieved in a cost-effective manner.
• Experience managing or authoring environmental impact assessments for major projects.
• Ability to demonstrate a commercially sophisticated approach to the implementation of safeguards requirements in a developing country context.
• Ability to negotiate complex outcomes at all levels.
• Ability to think laterally to provide solutions to complex problems.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.