|UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. Learn more at undp.org or follow at @UNDP.
With the funding support from the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the Government of Indonesia, led by the Coordinating Ministry for Economic Affairs and with technical support from UNDP and FAO is implementing a full-size project entitled “Strengthening sustainability in commodity and food systems, land restoration and land use governance through integrated landscape management for multiple benefits in Indonesia (FOLUR)”. The project aims to ensure sustainable value chains of oil palm, coffee, rice and cocoa through an application of a comprehensive land use approach linking biodiversity conservation, restoration, and production at scale.
The project will support the country to address the above-mentioned development challenges through four areas of interventions: 1) Enabling environment for sustainable value chains and integrated landscape management; 2) Promotion of sustainable crop production practices and responsible value chains; 3) Conservation and restoration-rehabilitation of natural habitats; and 4) Knowledge management, coordination, collaboration and monitoring and evaluation.
The project aims for a transformational change in sustainable commodity and crop supply chains and land governance, leading to a reduction in loss of high conservation value and high carbon stock forests in five jurisdictions in the country: Aceh Province (target district: Central Aceh), North Sumatera Province (target district: Mandailing Natal), West Kalimantan Province (target district: Sanggau), South Sulawesi Province (target district: Luwu), and West Papua Province (target district: Sorong). The targeted commodities are: oil palm, cocoa, rice, and coffee.
In line with the GEF-7 FOLUR Impact Program, the project strategy is predicated on integrated landscape management approaches facilitated through multi-stakeholder collaboration in achieving genuine systems change that results in durable global environmental benefits and sustainable livelihoods for local communities both men and women.
Duties and Responsibilities
|1. Lead and facilitate multi-stakeholder collaboration and inclusive stakeholder engagement at the national and subnational levels, across the target jurisdictions, as well as at global level:
- Provide input to the National Project Manager on strategic approach to stakeholder engagement with governmental and non-governmental partners in best practices in sustainable and resilient production, conservation and restoration of degraded lands and forest areas, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate the implementation of multi-stakeholder collaboration and stakeholder engagement plan.
- Organise and facilitate multi-stakeholder collaboration dialogues in accordance with the principles of the jurisdictional approach and integrated landscape management.
- Coordinating with the Private Sector Engagement Specialist, engage with private sector coalitions and other stakeholder groups, representing the project and developing new partnerships.
- Represent the project on landscape and commodity-level platforms, advocating for public- private-community partnerships on sustainable and resilient production, diversified livelihoods for local communities and conservation and restoration of degraded lands and forest areas.
- Coordinating with the M&E-Knowledge Management Specialist, provide strategic guidance in developing clear messaging for project stakeholders.
- Strengthen partnerships with leading national, regional and international institutions and expert groups.
- Increase cooperation with key national and subnational FOLUR related stakeholders and increase their capacities on taking a systemic and integrated approach in relation and when relevant to SPLI.
- Visit project sites as and when required to build relationships with landscape teams and stakeholders, better understand their contexts and cultivate project progress on the ground.
- Participate and co-lead with the National Project Manager on various relevant learning sessions.
- For example, this could include surfacing best practices and lessons learnt from multistakeholder collaboration perspective, monitoring outcomes of project and from other initiatives that can be helpful to the project in achieving its goals and objectives;
2. Effectively manage implementation of activities related to palm oil commodities to achieve project specified outputs, especially related to policy work and landscape (district) level activities:
- Support the implementation, coordination, engagement and monitoring of the landscape level project activities related to palm oil commodity, including working closely with NPSAs personnel and ICs needed to implement these activities;
- Support the National Project Manager with the implementation of relevant activities to achieve outputs under the four components of the FOLUR project; especially when they relate to pam oil commodity and governance
- Ensure that palm oil related work at landscape level is carried out in close coordination with existing multistakeholder platforms
- Work closely with respective partner, especially Ministry of Agriculture, in ensuring efficient implementation of the landscape level activities in Indonesia, in coordination with relevant UNDP and FAO Country Office focal points
- Report to the National Project Manager on activity progress related to palm oil commodity at national as well as at landscape level;
- Support in the drafting of ToRs for related expert consultants, meetings and workshops;
- Identify critical issues, troubleshoot problems, and develop solutions to the overall process of landscape activites implementation where relevant;
- Support the National Project Manager in ensuring the effective monitoring of palm oil commodity related implementation work streams in accordance with the approved project work plan;
- Prepare high quality and result-oriented progress reports to be submitted to UNDP Country Office (i.e. project Assurance), if required;
- Provide inputs and data for external project reports if required by the project Assurance Team.
- Ensure compliance of the landscape level activities with the UNDP Social and Environmental safeguards
- Provide technical advisory services in the development of technical guidance on grading for value additions of oil palm;
- Provide technical and strategic advisory support in the identification of priority locations and interventions in target jurisdictions and in capacity bulding of the extension support services and smallholder farmers
- Leads in generating knowledge products such as best practices and lessons learnt for knowledge sharing; and contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice, particularly related to palm oil commodity.
- Participate in training and technical discussion as organized by Global FOLUR or other organizer as relevant.
3. The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behaviour including gender discrimination and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
Reporting directly to National Project Manager and working closely with other technical project team, the Programme Manager for Natural Resources Management Cluster and the Global FOLUR team.
- Achieve Results: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
CROSS-FUNCTIONAL AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
- Results Based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
- Gender: Gender mainstreaming
- Partnership Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP
- Resource Mobilization: Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
- Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies, Forestry, Social and Political Sciences, or related fields, or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies, Forestry, Social and Political Sciences, or related fields in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Minimum 2 years (with master’s degree) or 4 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in the field of sustainable agriculture, environment and/or natural resource management, and climate change.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent inter-personal and team building skills;
- Good organizational skill,
- Excellent ability in writing reports, summarizing papers, and delivering presentations to international and national audiences;
- Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and web-based management systems, and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Knowledge and experience in relevant thematic area
Additional Skills and Competencies:
- 1 year of experience on sustainable palm oil issues including on social and environmental issues at the global and national level would be asset
- Experience in liaise, coordinate and work with NGOs, private sector an in particular, government entities; private sector and/or smallholders.
- Experience in organizing and facilitating multi-stakeholder meetings and workshops;
- Experience in implementation of projects that have components on sustainable development, green commodities, climate smart agriculture, environmental policy, environmental management, climate mitigation or project management is an advantage.
- Experience in managing/coordinating development projects or providing technical experise at UNDP and/or other UN agencies is an asset.
- English and Bahasa Indonesia in both writing and speaking
APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE THE P11 FORM AND SUBMIT IT AS PART OF THEIR APPLICATION. Click here to download the form: – https://bit.ly/3R8T1mv
UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups, and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UN Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UN Indonesia at the same grade level and with similar job descriptions, experience, and education requirements.