The International Rescue Committee’s (IRC) mission is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. IRC’s health programs comprise the largest proportion of its overall program budget and are essential to both IRC emergency response and long term programming worldwide.
The Health Technical Unit is a dynamic team of more than 70 professionals working across different health sectors. They provide IRC’s 40 plus country offices and emergency response team with world class technical expertise, capacity building and a cross-country view of what works to achieve outcomes in terms of scientific evidence and practical experience. The HU also leads a focused policy change agenda, influencing UN, donor, and national policy to support strengthened health outcomes for IRC’s clients.
The Senior Health Communications Specialist sits within the IRC’s Health Technical Unit. The Senior Health Communications Specialist is the lead on the IRC’s technical communications in health, and the focal point working closely with the IRC’s global communications team, supporting health-focused media placements, press releases, briefs, and reports. The Senior Health Communications Specialist will also serve as the communications point for IRC’s ambitious nutrition advocacy effort, and will support the Health Unit’s research uptake efforts.
This position reports to the Director, Health Policy, Advocacy and Communications.
* Serve as the focal point for IRC’s health communications; ensure technical accuracy, consistency and effectiveness of IRC’s health communications[ER1]
* Support the development of, and successfully execute IRC’s health communications strategy in partnership with the Health Unit leadership and global communications team
* With the Advocacy and Influence team, develop innovative strategies to advance policy, profile and funding for IRC’s health work
* Develop communications materials including press releases, statements, social media content, infographics, opeds, briefs and reports that drive the health unit’s policy agenda and showcase achievements.
* Expand and diversify the voices amplified through IRCs health communications work
* Develop and implement an internal communications plan, including an internal newsletter, presentations, blogs
* Lead the development of the State of the Health Unit Annual Report
* Ensure adherence to IRC’s style and brand across health materials developed
* Support media engagement including social media engagement on health
* Demonstrated experience in global health or humanitarian communications
* Expertise in communications: proven ability to develop materials for mass market, media and policy audiences
* Significant experience communicating on health topics and/or health-focused research accurately and effectively
* Highly motivated and confident, ability to work independently, flexibly and on quick deadlines
* Demonstrated superior organizational and time-management skills
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
* Experience designing and organizing events
* Familiarity with Office 365 with strong Word, Excel, PowerPoint skills
Education: Academic background in public policy, public health or a closely related field;
Language Skills: Fluency in English is required, French is an asset
Preferred experience & skills:
* Experience working in cross-cultural settings desirable
* Experience working with media desirable
* Advocacy experience, especially in the field or with local civil society groups, is desirable
* Design skill set and familiarity with design software a plus
- Standard office working environment
- Some international travel as needed up to 20%
- This role may require working remotely full or part time and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
The IRC and IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.