The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations is the specialized agency of the United Nations for food, nutrition, agriculture, and forestry. FAO’s global vision is for a world free from hunger and malnutrition where food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all, especially the poorest, in an economically, socially, and environmentally sustainable manner. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active and healthy lives.
The mission of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is to work to eradicate hunger and promote global food security together with balanced and complete nutrition. Our mandate is to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy.
The main aim of the FAO country offices that are headed by a FAO Representative, is to assist the Government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
FAO Representation in Ethiopia (FRETH) is co-located on the premises of the FAO Sub regional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE).
The position is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Inventory and Asset Management Assistant works under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Ethiopia, the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer and in close collaboration with the Storekeeper.
To provide inventory, asset management support for programmes and projects of the FAO Sub-regional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE) and FAO Representation in Ethiopia (FRETH).
Tasks and responsibilities
• Coordinate and/or receive/dispatch commodities including transhipment (truck to truck) against official approved documents like waybills and or delivery notes ensuring accuracy in physical count of commodities including the quality in compliance with the established standards.
• Take physical inventory count of all office equipment, supplies and furniture; and record the findings into the inventory database to reflect a true position and location of all items.
• Verify clerical computations against physical count of commodities and adjust errors in computation or count or investigates and reports reasons for discrepancies.
• Update the inventory database immediately when commodities are received from various procurement actions.
• Ensure adequate stock levels of stationery/ other fast-moving supplies are maintained in the stores and inform the relevant office of the status of inventory so that a Purchase Requisition can be prepared in a timely manner to allow for the timely replenishment of stock. Ensure that adequate stock balances are in the store before requests and/ or dispatches are approved.
• Perform periodic inspections and prepare reports on the quantity and quality of the commodities received/ dispatched and handled, detect promptly, and analyse reasons for stock discrepancies/ damages, investigate missing quantity and prepare loss reports recommending appropriate solutions to enable informed decision making.
• Review, verify and sign off store and transport documents and ensure maintenance of confidential balances and store records.
• Keeps proper records of office and projects inventories together with issuance of relevant administrative forms for Headquarters.
• Answers questions regarding procedures and resolves discrepancies regarding receipts, deliveries, warranties, repairs, and surplus property.
• Provides serial numbers of existing assets to Assets Division to be uploaded to the assets register.
• Ensures that relevant forms are completed in case of Loss or Theft of assets.
• Performs asset tagging/barcoding (i.e., attaching a pre-printed barcode to each non-expendable asset), setting up an asset catalogue for assets that cannot be barcoded (small size, unreachable location), keeping records.
• Maintain and update “Inventory per custodian” for each and every employee.
• Support regular physical inventory and periodic physical verification of organizational assets as per the Organization’s requirements.
• Provide supervision, guidance and on the job training to store staff supporting their development and high performance.
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Completion of secondary school education preferably supplemented by technical courses in a field related to
the work under this assignment and FAO’s program activities.
• At least three (3) years of relevant experience in logistics, administration. UN experience is an advantage.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of the local language (s) used at the duty station is required.
• National of Ethiopia
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Proven ability to perform daily inventory and asset management tasks, including proficiency in inventory systems and stock management.
• Strong proficiency in the entire Microsoft Office suite
• Skilled in email and other forms of communication
• Excellent teamwork skills