IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
The Financial Institutions Group (FIG), one of IFC’s industry departments, supports projects in numerous financial sub sectors, partners with local financial institutions, develops domestic and regional equity and debt markets and introduces new financing instruments. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services. The goal is to develop efficient financial systems that will increase financial inclusion and fuel economic growth in client countries and enhance IFC’s developmental impact.
The FIG’s Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Central Asia, and Turkey (FIG MCT) team is based across the region with main hubs and locations in Istanbul, Dubai, Karachi, and Amman. The team members work on both new business development and processing, and portfolio management across the region.
The FIG MCT team is seeking to hire an Investment Officer based in Karachi, Pakistan to help grow and develop business in MCT.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Demonstrate a thorough understanding of banking, financial institutions, and related industry knowledge.
• Help develop and evaluate a pipeline of good quality investment opportunities. Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects.
• Lead transactions and develop appropriate financial structures for straightforward and complex transactions.
• Structure, negotiate and close new transactions, capital increases, equity sales, as necessary, with a strong focus on client and asset quality (includes evaluating new opportunities, processing mandates, due diligence, negotiating term sheets and other documents).
• Participate in negotiations; use negotiation skills to overcome impasses and finalize negotiations in straightforward projects and transactions.
• Take responsibility for the proactive management of multiple portfolio investments.
• Support investment transactions as required from initiation, due diligence, internal approvals, processing and negotiations of debt and equity investment, actively handling key work and coordinating work of other team members from across multiple departments
• Identify and assess Upstream opportunities based on country and
sector strategies and market creation potential.
• Develop feasibility studies and implementation plans for Upstream
projects that lead to IFC investments.
• Design and implement scalable solutions and platforms that can be
replicated across markets.
• Produce regular reports on the assigned Upstream portfolio including
monitoring progress against project milestones and KPIs.
• Conduct sector-specific data analysis and stress-testing of various
operating models to help generate ideas for new projects, new products, and platform businesses.
• MBA or equivalent qualification with specialization in finance
• At least 6+ years’ working experience in finance and banking with a proven track-record of supporting the origination process, structuring, closing investments, portfolio work and supervision as well as clients’ relationship. Strong preference for someone with investment experience in the financial sector
• Demonstrated sound business judgment, problem solving, strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity)
• Modeling skills
• Client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively
• Facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries
• Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
• Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards
• Genuine commitment to sustainable development
• Ability and willingness to travel frequently is required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences; fluency in Urdu would be a plus.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.