The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the Implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO’s global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies. The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia and the direct supervision of the Head of Office, Jubaland, and the functional supervision of the FAO Somalia Head of Operations Unit
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Somalia Representative, the direct supervision of the Head of Office, Jubaland, and the functional supervision of the FAO Somalia Head of Operations Unit, the Programme Specialist will be responsible for the following tasks: Support the coordination of field activities, including organizing workshops, training sessions, and field visits.
More specifically the duties and responsibilities of the Programme Specialist will include:
Tasks and responsibilities
• Collaborate with the Finance Unit to reconcile financial data and prepare accurate financial reports, Process payments of running cost, Receive and review invoices for payment, Obtain quotations for local procurements.
• Support in Jubaland internal weekly, monthly, and quarterly meetings.
• Support in Jubaland monthly reporting
• Prepare daily schedules, in close collaboration with the driver and vehicles.
• Assist in logistics arrangements for field missions and project events, ensuring timely provision of required resources, organize transport of inputs as per program requirements and instructions received from Operations; Support staff on mission with required logistical and accommodation arrangements; Organize transport of inputs as per program requirements and instructions received from Operations.
• Maintain accurate records of project documentation, correspondence, and reports.
• Prepare procurement documents, contracts and agreements related to project activities.
• Maintain a filing system of technical and administrative documents and correspondence; Assist in maintaining local inventory records with responsibility for proper recording of assets, their maintenance and safeguard.
• Process tax exemptions
• Compile, manage and maintain the annual leave planner and quarterly update; ensure staff daily attendance records.
• Provide administrative support for project-related tasks and meetings.
• Work effectively in a team and multicultural environment, contributing to the overall success of FAO projects in Somalia
• Any other assigned duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in administration, international relations, political science, public administration, or other relevant discipline from a reputable Institution.
• At least 3 years of relevant experience in administration, procurement, or logistics support service.
• Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
• National of Somalia
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Familiarity with relevant UN and other international organizations active in Somalia and the sector.
• Experience in Somalia.
• Experience with FAO, United Nations, NGOs, EU or other similar partners will be a definite asset.
• Experience and proven track record in dealing with government ministries, custom authorities and other relevant offices in processing various documents would be considered as an asset.
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply