What you’ll need
- Education: You hold a Ph.D. in Economics degree from a recognized university. Outstanding professional background and strong technical competencies.
- Experience: At least 15 years of senior-level experience as a leading economist in public/government institutions, international organizations or in the private sector, preferable in organizations concerned with growth and development issues in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) or other emerging regions. Proven experience in addressing high-level national authorities and conveying highly technical issues, with context- specific pertinence and a clear understanding of political economy issues. Proven ability to conduct policy-relevant research and provide advice on macroeconomic management, with particular focus on policy at the national and subnational level. Proven capacity to integrate and situate sectoral issues within a broader development framework.
- Publications: Impactful publications on economic issues relevant to Latin America and the Caribbean and/or other emerging and developing regions, focusing on applied knowledge. Strong record of leadership in major economic reports or other published work relating to growth, development and poverty issues.
- Languages:. Proficiency in English and Spanish. Knowledge of Portuguese would be desirable. Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present complex analyses to non-specialist audiences. Tactful communication skills combined with honest and courage of opinion.
- Other: Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments and adjust to a variety of complex evolving tasks to meet deadlines. Willingness to travel, ability to work in a multicultural environment, outstanding interpersonal skills. Supervisory capacity.
- Strategic thinking
- Intellectual leadership
- Focus on clients
- Communicate and influence
- Collaborate and share knowledge
- Innovate and take risks
- Mentor and develop
- Promote diversity, equity and inclusion
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48 member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
- International staff contract, 36 months initially, renewable upon mutual agreement.
What we offer
The IDB Group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package.
- Leaves and vacations: 24 days of paid time off + 8 personal days + sick leave + gender- neutral parental leave.
- Health Insurance: IDB Group provides employees and eligible dependents with a robust medical benefits program that covers medical, dental, vision, preventive care, and prescription drugs.
- Pension plan: defined benefit pension plan that provides financial security and supports employees in planning for their future.
- We offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your family when it applies.
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules.
- Health and well-being: Access to our Health Services Center, which provides preventive care and health education for employees.
- Development support: We offer tools to boost your professional profile as mentoring, 1:1 professional counseling, training and learning opportunities, language classes, mobility options, among others.
- Other perks: Lactation Room, Daycare Center, Gym, Bike Racks, Parking, Spouse Career Program, and others.
At the IDB Group, we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e- mail us at email@example.com to request a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews every application carefully. About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab, offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Inter-American Development Bank is devoted to improving lives. Established in 1959, the IDB is a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB also conducts innovative research and provides policy advice, technical assistance, and training to public and private sector clients throughout the region.