Today Ukraine is facing its most serious challenges since achieving independence in 1991. The ongoing war has already resulted in significant loss of life, unprecedented displacement, internally and towards neighboring countries, and devastating destruction of infrastructure. The UN Ukraine Flash Appeal shows that at least 15.7 million people are in immediate need of emergency assistance and protection. Early projections indicate that if the war should continue in the medium to long term, up to 90% of the Ukrainian population could face poverty and extreme economic vulnerability, and the country’s socio-economic progress could be set-back by almost 20 years. In the short-term, 62% of the population is at high risk of falling into poverty. Ukraine’s economy is set to shrink by 45% this year due to the war and even with a moderate recovery in the next few years, by 2025 the GDP would still only be two-thirds of the pre-war GDP in 2021.
In addition, the country faces losses of many people’s lives and devastative destruction of infrastructures and economic bases. Currently, more than 50% of the energy infrastructure damaged, causing the massive disruption of energy supply nationwide with millions of people experiencing power outages and challenges in heating. Extensive scale of destruction of infrastructure, rehabilitating or constructing infrastructures and installing equipment with necessary supply of the materials is urgently required to restore or maintain life-line and key basic services, followed by removal or mines and explosives as well as debris.
In this context, UNDP is recruiting a Project Associate to work in a UNDP Project management team of international and local professional and support staff. The Project Associate will provide project management assistance to the Project Manager by supporting the effective implementation of operational, administrative, procurement, and financial processes. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement, and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide project management assistance by supporting administrative, operational and logistical processes, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Ensure compliance with procedures frameworks, including by learning and applying UNDP’s Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP), and relevant to project activity financial and administrative requirements;
- Prepare relevant background materials for use in discussions, correspondence, and briefing sessions;
- Draft meeting minutes, translate and interpret from Ukrainian into English and vice-versa;
- Ensure efficient travel arrangements are made for the team as required, ensuring proper use of UNDP resources;
- Assist in arranging appointments, organizing meetings, events, taking minutes of meetings and drafting correspondence for Project Team;
- Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of applicable government and non-government partners;
- Maintain policy, confidentiality and general management files.
- Support financial, procurement and human resources processes, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Learn processes and operations of the UNDP Quantum Platform;
- Provide administrative support in the planning, execution and review of Project Financial Reports on Quantum Platform;
- In accordance with the Annual Work Plan, arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services and ensure timely follow up with procurement requests;
- Assist in recruitment processes by reviewing job descriptions, job classifications, forming vacancy announcements, screening candidates, and facilitating interview panels;
- Maintain leave records and travel plans of the Project staff.
- Facilitate knowledge building and management, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- In accordance with the Project Document and in close coordination with the Responsible Parties, adhere to the Quarterly and Annual Targets according to UNDP timelines;
- Organize events for the ECHO4SCHOOLS Project Staff;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in the project;
- Provide high quality interpretation and translation in support of the project as needed.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of Project Manager and the overall guidance of Inclusive Development, Recovery and Peacebuilding Portfolio Team Lead, and in close coordination with all IDRPB teams, UNDP Country Office (CO) team, promoting client-oriented approach and compliance to UNDP rules and regulations.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
|Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
|Business Direction & Strategy
|Effective Decision Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
|Administration & Operations
|Events Management (including retreats, trainings, and meetings)
- Support offices with event management including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
|Human Resources- People strategy and planning
- Ability to design job roles to meet specific organizational objectives.
- Knowledge of evaluating businesses, projects, budgets, and other finance related transactions to determine their performance and suitability.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education is required OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Social Sciences, or a related discipline will be given due consideration but is not a requirement.
- Minimum seven (7) years with Secondary Education or four (4) years with a Bachelor’s degree of experience working in administration or providing project management assistance is required.
- Experience in UN/UNDP or International organizations or Development organizations is desired.
- Experience in organizing events (including retreats, trainings, meetings, etc.) is an asset.
- Experience in financial reporting for donors is desired.
- Experience in procurement of equipment/supplies/services is an asset.
- Highly competent in using computers and office software packages
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian.
This is a national position only Ukrainian nationals are eligible to apply for this position.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.