For more than four decades, FAO has been working with the Government of the Philippines, civil society, community-based organizations and the private sector to address challenges in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector. Joint efforts have included increasing sustainability in agricultural production, promoting value-adding practices, improving post-harvest management, enhancing productivity and increasing the resilience of agriculture-based livelihoods to natural disasters, climatic hazards and armed conflict.
FAO is implementing a UN Joint Programme on Farmers-Fisherfolks’ Advancement and Integration to Resilient Value Chains in BARMM (FAIR-VALUE). The project, funded by European Union, is implemented jointly with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the International Trade Centre (ITC).
The Project aims to improve the local agricultural/sea-aqua product production in quality, diversity, consolidation and its response to the needs of the market, with a primary focus on agri-fishery communities and smallholder clusters in the island provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi (BaSulTa). Potential commodities to be supported by the project are rubber, coffee and seaweed. Output 1.1. refers to the mapping and analysis of these value chains in the targeted area.
The Value Chain Specialist will report to the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and work in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator.
The Value Chain Specialist will support the conduct of mapping and analysis of the three value chain in the project sites, develop activity design and training modules, as well as conduct of the capacity building activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Value Chain Specialist will undertake the following duties:
• In consultation with the key stakeholders, support the conduct of mapping and analysis with IOM and ITC, together with the Project Coordinator and technical specialists (farming systems, fisheries, training and development) of the three value chains in the selected sites (Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-tawi). In order to achieve this, the specialist will:
a. Assist in the development of the overall methodological approach for the value chain assessment, incorporating FAO’s methodology and best practices.
b. Undertake a brief literature review on the selected value chains, including collecting and reviewing relevant value chain studies done in Mindanao/Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao as a reference for conducting value chain analysis of priority commodities to be supported by the project.
c. Undertake field data collection and gather relevant secondary information available (e.g. markets, types/varieties, agricultural statistics, socio-economic information etc.)
d. Assist in identifying key stakeholders/actors and the linkages among them; and assist in engaging with value chain actors/stakeholders to gather insights.
e. Prepare a SWOT analysis for the selected value chain.
f. Based on the comprehensive value chain analyses conducted, prepare value chain reports including strategic recommendations for upgrading the value chains.
• Provide support in developing plans for beneficiaries to ensure and strengthen fair, institutional linkages between production clusters and markets.
• Prepare presentation materials for and attend various in-person meetings related to the assignment.
• Prepare and submit an end-of-assignment report according to FAO’s guidelines.
• Perform other tasks that may be assigned by the FAO Representative and/or the Project Coordinator.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• The candidate must have an Advanced University Degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Rural Development or other related fields.
• At least eight (8) years professional and subject matter specialization in the implementation of projects on agribusiness, agro-based livelihoods and value chain development at the field level.
• A national of Philippines.
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and Filipino.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• General knowledge and skills in the use of standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Tagalog.