FAO Representation in Sierra Leone implements an integrated food security programme, focusing on diversification of livelihoods, managing natural resources and building resilience. The office employs diverse team of experts locally, but also attracts the available technical experts from the region and the Head Quarters (HQ). FAO works in close partnership with the Government of Sierra Leone, farmers and other stakeholders, supporting plans and policies that affect the food and nutrition security in the country; our work is part of the corporate commitment to support countries to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030, especially SDG 2 on Zero Hunger.
At managerial level, S/he reports to the FAOR, Sierra Leone. On technical front, the REDD &MRV Specialist must engage, coordinate and liaise with the Regional Project Coordinator, the International REDD and MRV Expert, the Forest/Environment/Climate (FEC) Projects Coordinator, AFAOR, Head of Programmes and the REDD Focal Person appointed by the Government.
The National Project REDD and MRV Specialist should provide support on all RED implementation and MRV aspects of the project. S/he must coordinate, collaborate and lead on the setting up of the MRV Unit and in the establishment of the National REDD Coordination Committee (NRCC). In close collaboration with the International Expert, s/he will lead on REDD capacity enhancement of the NRCC and MRV Unit including the development and validation of the Terms of References and ensure the legal approval and endorsement of the NRCC and MRV Unit.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the FAOR, the REDD and MRV Specialist will be responsible for all technical aspects of REDD and MRV implementation in the country. S/he must liaise, coordinate, consult and collaborate with other relevant institutions both private and public for the effective REDD implementation and monitoring. In close collaboration with the REDD Focal Person, the project will perform among others the following tasks and responsibilities:
Lead on the REDD components implementation of the project;
• Conduct capacity gap assessment on REDD and MRV
• Establish, strengthen and ensure that the REDD governance structures is operationalized;
• Lead, guide and strengthen state and non-state networks for better engagement in REDD process in the country;
With the direct involvement of the NDA and the REDD Focal Person
• Develop REDD Roadmap/ National REDD Strategy and Action Plan to guide the country approaches and readiness activities under the four pillars of REDD
• Contribute to the development of REDD and MRV training materials and deliver the much needed trainings as may be required;
• Define institutional arrangement of the NRC Office and finalize the Terms of References (ToRs) and work plan
• Validate the ToR for the NRC Office during a national workshop – Activity 188.8.131.52;
• Strengthen the capacity of the NRCC and NRC Office – Activity 184.108.40.206
• Define the institutional arrangement and ToRs of the MRV Unit and its work plan – Activity 220.127.116.11Deliver trainings for the development of the MRV system that meets the requirements of the Warsaw Framework (including FREL/FRL, Technical Annex of Results and technical assessment/analysis processes) and the establishment of NFMS under the UNFCCC – Activity 18.104.22.168 taken into account the capacity development of a measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) system for REDD conducted in 2013 under the EU/GCCA Project for Sierra Leone;
• Deliver 2 trainings on NFMS tools for the NFMS in the country – Activity 22.214.171.124. These trainings will help participants to understand Satellite Land Monitoring System (SLMS) including work on historical time series analysis/ land cover change assessment & accuracy assessment using primarily FAO Digital Public Good solutions such as the open sources tools from the Open Foris suite (e.g. Collect Earth, SEPAL, LCML/LCCS-v3), acquiring, archiving, processing, and analyzing remote-sensing data required for the establishment of a SLMS for NFMS/MRV − Forest (carbon) Inventory (NFI) − GHG inventory for the LULUCF sectors − Emission Factors (EF) and Activity Data (AD) and compilation of other data for Forest Reference Level for the development of FREL and UNFCCC reporting;
• Conduct technical meeting to decide on the characteristics of FREL for MRV – Activity 126.96.36.199;
• Conduct a validation workshop on the characteristics of FREL – Activity 188.8.131.52;
• Perform other duties as may be required by the supervisor, the International Consultant and the Regional Project Coordinator
Project management and administration
• Provide technical advice to the government and other counterpart on REDD and MRV and other land monitoring systems;
• Develop project work plan
• Develop an effective monitoring and evaluation system for project deliverables
• Ensure proportional approach, cohesion and coordination between different components within the country
• Work with the PMU to address obstacles and challenges in REDD and MRV implementation
• Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues, such as gender, communication and human rights, monitoring and evaluation.
• Ensure good coordination and collaboration with governments, beneficiaries, key stakeholders etc.
• Represent the project in national/international fora on REDD and climate adaptation/mitigation.
Policy advice and knowledge management
• Provide strategic policy advice to relevant Ministries, Department and Agencies and other partners on issues related to REDD .
• Lead and direct in knowledge management and capacity strengthening at national level
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Master’s degree in environmental sciences, climate change, or related field that is relevant for the assignment.
• At least 5-years’ experience in MRV system for LULUCF sector, GHG inventory for LULUCF sector, and national policy/ strategy designing
• Demonstrated knowledge of MRV system for LULUCF sector, and REDD process/requirements.
• Experience in organizing, facilitating and generating reports for workshops and interinstitutional dialogues.
• Working knowledge of English with good communications and writing skills.
• National of Sierra Leone.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement`
Technical/ Functional Skills
• In depth understanding of concepts and actions on REDD and climate change.
• Ability to lead and coordinate the project teams in communication, stakeholder engagement and information sharing and management.
• Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize large amount of data into analytical and practical knowledge/ information.
• Extensive professional experience in coordination of multicounty projects/programmes.