As the United Nations lead agency on international development, UNDP works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities, and to build resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. Our work is concentrated in three focus areas; sustainable development, democratic governance and peace building, and climate and disaster resilience.
UNDP connects countries to the knowledge, resources and networks they need to achieve development breakthroughs. Our work is summed up in our six signature solutions, adapted to context and powered by three potent enablers for greater impact. Responding in an integrated and coherent manner, we are determined to end poverty and hunger, protect the planet from degradation, ensure that all people have prosperous lives, with growth that occurs in harmony with nature, and to foster peaceful and inclusive societies. We are committed to mobilizing the means to implement the 2030 Agenda through a revitalized Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, based on a spirit of strengthened global solidarity.
UNDP has supported the Government and people of Liberia in their efforts to reduce poverty and inequality in a bid to attain sustainable development since 1977. This has been done by among other things strengthening and reforming governance institutions to be inclusive and participatory, developing the necessary regulatory frameworks, upholding human rights, and supporting growth of the private sector and civil society. Our United Nations identity ensures neutrality and respect for people’s choices. Transparency and accountability in operations makes us a trusted partner for national and international development stakeholders.
UNDP encourages and enables collective intelligence, collaboration, integration, critical thinking and thought leadership. We mainstream innovation, digitalization opportunities, gender equity and diversity/inclusion principles in all aspects of our work. Our staff consistently strive for excellence, effectiveness, efficiency and inclusion across all areas of work.
In close cooperation with the UNDP Programme teams and other Country Office units, the Operations team supports the UNDP Country Office and programme implementation through the provision of relevant and timely procurement, finance, ICT and digital services, General Administration services, and Human Resources support. This includes a focus on collaboration, innovation, speed and administrative efficiency as well as advisory services for enhanced planning. The unit contributes to a collective engagement with other teams, partners and UN
Agency clients to offer timely, well-planned and efficient services that meet the standard and requirements of UNDP policies and procedures.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
- Provides reliable and secure driving services to authorized UN personnel within the city and to regions with possible over-nights trips in the region.
- Driving office vehicle for the transport of authorized personnel during security phases when required.
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport and ensuring the delivery of client services related to field travel, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
Duties and Responsibilities
In this section list up to five primary functions/accountabilities of the position (Typically one sentence each) and examples of duties that must be performed to successfully accomplish key responsibilities.
- Proper use of office vehicle:
- Ensure proper use of office vehicle, regular maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Provision of a full range of logistical support for field mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensuring timely, accountable, and cost-effective delivery of vehicle operations and personnel.
- Coordinating logistics operations with other UN agencies/funds/programmes and other organizations in the field as needed.
- Assistance with general office and facilities management to ensure the full functioning of all equipment and services by:
• Assist in purchasing, travel authorizations, security clearances, reservations, etc.
- Delivery and collection of mail, documents, and other items the following key responsibilities:
- Provides support to filing official documentation formalities/arrangements etc; where required.
- Support other administrative/clerical services as required.
- Assist in archiving official aged documents and stored in the archive room for safe keeping.
- Maintains data base of daily vehicle fuel consumption to be able to observe the minimum rec order level.
- Attend to other official errands as requested.
- Safe driving services provided for UNDP Liberia Staff members.
- Vehicles well maintained and made available for use at all times.
- Fuel & vehicle daily logbook properly handled.
- Communication ethics with UNDSS regarding travel out of mission straightly ahead to
- Services are provided within the limits of delegated authority, maintenance and repair of the UNDP field office vehicle is achieved.
- Should have knowledge of using satellite phones, HF radios, etc
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Learn Continuously – Actively pursue opportunities for learning and self-development professionally and personally.
- Achieve Results- Hold self and others accountable for results.
- Public Relations- Ability to build and maintain an overall positive public image for the organization, its mandate and its brand, while ensuring that individual campaigns and other communications and advocacy initiatives are supported in reaching the public.
- Adapt with Agility- Be flexible in handling change, and adopt new ideas, approaches and ways of working.
- Ethics – Ethics UN policy knowledge – ethics Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity.
- Change Management- Ability to prepare, support, and help individuals and teams in designing and implementing organizational change.
- Communication – Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol issues.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of basic security issues.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on results for client.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates good oral and preferably written communication skills.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior.
- Completion of Secondary School Education.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience as a driver in an international institution, governmental organization, embassy or UN system. Additional work experience is considered as an asset.
- Safe driving records.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Driving experience with the UN system or any international organization will be an advantage.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.