Job Opening ID: 221772
Job Network : Questions économiques et sociales et développement
Job Family : Direction de programmes
Category and Level : Administrateurs et des fonctionnaires de rang supérieur, P-2
Duty Station : NEW YORK
Department/Office : United Nations Office for Partnerships
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Nov 26, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the UN Office for Partnerships (UN Partnerships). Guided by the priorities of the UN Secretary-General, UN Partnerships is the gateway to the UN system to connect and co-create partnerships to keep the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In its role as a connector, UN Partnerships proactively engages, convenes and leverages stakeholders, initiatives and solutions in support of the Decade of Action to deliver the SDG. UN Partnerships oversees the UN Fund for International Partnerships (UNFIP), the UN Democracy Fund (UNDEF), the SDG Advocates programme, and the SDG Strategy Hub. The incumbent will support all initiatives of the UN Partnerships and report to the Executive Director of UN Partnerships, and work closely with other members of the team.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)-focused programmes/projects, with a focus on the Secretary-General’s SDG Advocates (SDG Advocates) etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
• Provides substantive support on strategic issues on partnerships and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies, with focus on SDGs and the SG/ DSG initiatives and campaigns.
• Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the SDG Advocates and client, by planning facilitating workshops, meetings, events through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the SDG Advocates and client will use to manage the change.
• Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings of the SDG Advocates, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, participate in relevant meetings and prepare reports and recommendations on follow up activities etc.
• Undertakes advocacy and outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities, supports the development of SDG-focused communication materials and events.
• Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, finance, law or related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A first-level university degree and no experience will be accepted for candidates who have passed the United Nations Young Professionals Programme Examination (YPP), the United
Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to
Professional Examination (G to P).
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management, administration or related area is required
Experience in collaborating with governmental institutions and eminent world figures to advance the Sustainable Development Goals is required.
Experience in preparation and coordination of various written outputs, including speeches, analysis, substantial sections of reports, and inputs to publications on SG initiatives and campaigns is required.
Experience in developing, implementing programmes/ projects that foster partnerships to deliver the SDGs is required.
Experience in leading high-level, complex events and campaigns is desirable.
No experience is required for candidates who have passed the United Nations Young
Professionals Programme Examination (YPP) or the G to P Examination (G to P).
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required and knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.