Job Opening ID: 222289
Job Network : Logistics, Transportation and Supply Chain
Job Family : Génie
Category and Level : Autre, NO-B
Duty Station : PORT-AU-PRINCE
Department/Office : United Nations Mission Integrated Office in Haiti
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Nov 26, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti (BINUH) was established by Security Council resolution 2476 and is mandated to promote and strengthen political stability and good governance, including the rule of law, preserving, and advancing a peaceful and stable environment, supporting an inclusive inter-Haitian national dialogue, and protecting and promoting human rights in Haiti.
This position is located within the Engineering Unit of the United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti (BINUH), duty station Port-au-Prince. The Associate Engineer will report to the Chief of Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Engineer will apply professional engineering knowledge and expertise in performance of the following duties:
1. Planning and Design:
• Applies commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the design, construction, or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, helipads, railways, docks, waste disposal systems, flood control systems, water treatment facilities, electrical power generation and distribution systems, environmental control systems, field defenses, mine detection and clearance, and other related structures and activities in the field.
• Conducts preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for building site selection.
• Prepares design layout for smaller or less complex portions of buildings and facilities.
• Produces cost data and estimates on engineering-related requirements of current and planned field missions. Participates in budget projections.
• Completes architectural and engineering drawings using AutoCAD software. Where necessary, visits work sites for inspection of site conditions and/ or for taking of measurements.
• Converts old/ historical drawings to AutoCAD files liaising with GIS office as and when appropriate in providing a consolidated mission wide reference source for maps and layouts.
• Maintains and controls any request for copies of architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical plans.
• Develops technical data regarding materials, sizes, dimensions, and quantities and costs to be incorporated in formal specifications.
• Analyzes project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and to ensure that project objectives are attainable within the prescribed resources.
• Liaises with other engineers and mission specialists responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems by exchanging and comparing data.
• Undertakes research to gather information related to engineering projects.
• Prepares engineering presentations using advances in technologies.
• Evaluate technical proposals from bidders/vendors for solicitation processes.
• Provides where possible recommendations for improvement to current Unit workflows/processes and implement (in coordination with respective unit staff).
• Apply standard engineering practices & precedents in construction, maintenance & repairs of installations, structures and facilities.
3. Real Estate Management
• Conducts physical verification of Real Estate Objects and enrich the objects in UMOJA.
• Creates and Updates real estate Lease-Out and Lease-In contracts in UMOJA.
• Creates Asset Under Construction (AUC) data using work-breakdown structure in UMOJA.
4. Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Civil/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, architecture or other related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in engineering or related areas is required.
Experience in the use of AUTOCAD to develop engineering/architectural drawing is required.
Experience in managing facilities maintenance and/or construction projects is required.
Experience in the use of Microsoft Project and/or ArchiCAD is desirable.
Experience in managing Real Estate portfolio in an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the positions advertised, fluency in oral and written English and French is required.