Job Opening ID: 221575
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-4
Duty Station : SUVA
Department/Office : United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 2, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Digital Economy Capacity Building Section of the E-commerce and the Digital Economy Branch of the Division of Technology and Logistics in the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). The post is located in Suva, Fiji and Programme Management Officer will report to the Chief of the Digital Economy Capacity Building Section based in Geneva, Switzerland.
This post is financed by project funds and responds to UNCTAD’s activities under the Pacific Digital Economy Programme, a joint programme between UNCTAD, UNCDF and UNDP. The objective of this Programme is to support the development of inclusive digital economies in the Pacific. In this context, UNCTAD’s role is to produce the second edition of the regional digital economy report, support countries with the development of a national e-commerce strategy and to conducts technical assistance related to the measuring of e-commerce and the digital economy in the region, amongst other activities.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develops, implements and evaluates UNCTAD’s contributions to the Pacific Digital Economy Programme, including a regional digital economy report, the development of national e-commerce strategies, and technical assistance activities related to the measuring of e-commerce and the digital economy in the region; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
• Liaises and coordinates activities with the programme’s partner organizations and builds and supports partnerships through regular interaction with stakeholders in the region.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources with a particular focus on e-commerce and the digital economy.
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
• Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to trade and investment for development, in particular in the area of e-commerce and the digital economy. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Work experience as per the above in the field of trade, investment or technology for development is desirable.
Experience with e-commerce and development is desirable.
Previous professional experience within the United Nations system is desirable.
Experience acquired while working in the Pacific region is desirable.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.