Job Opening ID: 222118
Job Network : Information and Telecommunication Technology
Job Family : Information Management Systems and Technology
Category and Level : Catégorie des services généraux et catégories apparentées, G-7
Duty Station : NAIROBI
Department/Office : United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 3, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-HABITAT, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
ERSKI is responsible for strategic planning, programmatic direction and operationalization of UN-Habitat’s focal point role for the New Urban Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goal 11 in the UN system.
The Knowledge and Innovation Branch is responsible for leading the development of UN-Habitat’s flagship reports, the gathering and reporting on urban data through its Data and Analytic Section, and the production of cutting-edge knowledge and innovation on cities, the processes of urban development and urbanization and its associated effects.
The position is located in the Innovation Unit of the Knowledge and Innovation Branch, located within the External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation Division (ERSKI) of UN-Habitat at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. The Information Systems Assistant reports to the Chief of the Knowledge and Innovation Branch. Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides support for computer information systems, databases and applications in assigned area; performs complex troubleshooting for various applications.
• Participates in the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new computer application systems releases, modules and functionalities; conducts version management.
• Designs and develops computer application systems and programs, typically using more than one programming language as well as UN established standards for IT technologies and tools.
• Installs computer application systems software and hardware according to specifications; monitors applications systems using appropriate monitoring tools and produces monitoring reports.
• Manages, designs, creates, produces and maintains technical documentation for relevant computer application systems and products; manages and administers changes to technical documentation in accordance with prevailing change management and operation procedures.
• Assists in developing/refining support and operations procedures for relevant computer applications systems, including programming requirements and recommendations to users for the programming interfaces.
• Serves as team leader in projects dealing with the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and maintenance of simple computer application systems; liaises with users to define and specify requirements; builds, tests and modifies prototype computer application systems; performs installation and maintenance of computer applications systems in user offices.
• Contributes to feasibility studies, systems analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation and testing of computer application systems improvements and new computer application systems.
• Assists in the identification of user computer application systems needs, including business process and document workflow analysis, organization and maintenance of document repositories; identifies classification schema, retention and archival procedures; designs and develops workflow systems; conducts research on document/information/knowledge management computer applications’ tools, procedures and standards.
• Provides support on computer application systems development matters, including security and data backup and recovery.
• Drafts correspondence and communications; including work plan revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
• Keeps abreast of developments in the field; conducts research on new technologies; performs benchmarking and proposes new acquisitions; assists in the implementation of new technologies.
• Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff; plans day-to-day work and supervises other staff as required.
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Performs other related duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM : Knowledge of organizational information infrastructure, including hardware, software and application systems. Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and ability to use programming skills to develop information systems. Knowledge of system development workflow and document flow processes, ability to conduct research and gather information from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Ability to perform a wide range of application software development and maintenance tasks under minimum supervision. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
COMMUNICATION : Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Completion of high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Supplemental training in information systems or related area is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development, technical writing or related area is required.
One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: “fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.