Job Opening ID: 222112
Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-3
Duty Station : NAIROBI
Department/Office : United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 3, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-HABITAT, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
ERSKI is responsible for strategic planning, programmatic direction and operationalization of UN-Habitat’s focal point role for the New Urban Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goal 11 in the UN system.
The Knowledge and Innovation Branch is responsible for leading the development of UN-Habitat’s flagship reports, the gathering and reporting on urban data through its Data and Analytic Section, and the production of cutting-edge knowledge and innovation on cities, the processes of urban development and urbanization and its associated effects.
The position is located in the Innovation Unit of the Knowledge and Innovation Branch, located within the External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation Division (ERSKI) of UN-Habitat at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. The Programme Officer reports to the Chief of the Knowledge and Innovation Branch. Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Supports the global monitoring and reporting of the New Urban Agenda
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (Programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work Programme, Programme budget, etc.).
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs other duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM : Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches in urban development. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent policy research and analysis in urban development. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION : Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING : Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in urban planning, economics, international development, architecture or or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Experience in the preparations of global and regional reports monitoring and assessing urban development is desirable.
Experience the implementation and monitoring of the New Urban Agenda is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: “fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.