Job Opening ID: 222191
Job Network : Public Information and Conference Management
Job Family : Information
Category and Level : Service mobile, FS-4
Duty Station : BANGUI
Department/Office : United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 4, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within Strategic Communications and Public Information Service in the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA). The photographer will be based in Bangui and reports to Chief Publication and Multimedia Unit.
Within delegated authority, the photographer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provide photographic coverage and documentation of MINUSCA activities, and liaise with O/SRSG, Military, Police and Civilian units in order to achieve this end.
• Participates in the identification and implementation of photographic assignments within the Mission’s area of operations and provides written information describing the coverage.
• Drafts proposals, shoots, edits and assists in the design of specific print/web/digital photo montages for use by the Public Information Office (PIO) as well as other substantive units of the Mission and UN Department of Public Information (DGC).
• Works with the Mission’s Public Information Component, providing supportive imagery for their specific publications and products.
• Provides stock Mission images, liaison services, as well as technical support to international and local media organizations. Assists in building capacity in regard to technical proficiency in local media.
• Archives and performs digital postproduction and photo processing tasks.
• Disseminates photos through mission communication platforms including the mission website, social media e.g., Flickr, newsletter etc.
• Provides UN DGC Photo Library and other colleagues from HQ with images and captioning from the Mission’s activities.
• Be responsible for photo equipment, issued by the Mission, for inventory and maintenance purposes.
• Assists in the creation and procurement of equipment infrastructure for the Mission’s photographic unit.
• Undertakes any other photography-related assignments, but not limited to photo editing, photo research, maintenance, quality control and updating the Missions’ photo archive.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of digital media. Good understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit, and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units; Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to the communication, production and standard sources; Good applied technical and specialized skills in audio visual production and demonstrated ability to apply good judgment and discretion in the context of assignments given; Responsible for the accuracy of the source and content of pictures and also for the aesthetic quality thereof. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services. Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs. Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas. Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box.” Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things. Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Commitment to continuous learning: Keeps abreast of new developments, technologies and techniques in own’s occupation/profession. Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally. Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates. Shows willingness to learn from others. Seeks feedback to learn and improve.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Professional diploma or other industry-recognized qualification in photography desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
Technical or vocational training in photography is required.
At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of photography is required.
Experience in working with different technologies, especially latest digital camera equipment is required.
Experience in the field of photography in developing countries or post conflict situations is desirable.
Experience as photographer following a high-level official or public figure is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in either language is required; and knowledge of the other is an advantage.