Job Opening ID: 221306
Job Network : Gestion et administration
Job Family : Administration
Category and Level : Catégorie des services généraux et catégories apparentées, G-7
Duty Station : BANGKOK
Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 19, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This position is based in UNEP’s Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) in Bangkok, Thailand.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties;
Human Resources Management
• Coordinates various actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures. Liaises with central administration/executive services as required.
• Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements.
• Reviews and processes personnel actions.
• Advises personnel on visa matters.
• Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
• Provides information and advice to personnel with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
Budget and Finance
• Provides assistance in the preparation and development of the unit’s work programme and budget.
• Assists in monitoring budget/work programme with respect to various budgets, trust funds, grant and other funds on a regular basis, and suggests reallocations of resources and implements the reallocations as necessary.
• Collects data from relevant databases and prepares customized financial reports.
• Provides assistance in the review, and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
• Reviews, analyses and assists in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from departments/offices at headquarters and in the field, including programmatic aspects; ensures compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
• Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Monitors budget implementation/expenditures and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
• Monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions.
• Assists in finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Provides guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
• Provides assistance in drafting of host country agreements, budget agreements, or contributions for grants or other activities as appropriate.
• Supports communication with member states and other stakeholders for the major events and prepare congratulation and thank you letters for new and outgoing ministers.
• Regularly updates information, including list of ministers, national focal points, intergovernmental organizations, key partners, Asia Pacific Group of the CPR, as well as list of key events, at the ROAP digital repository.
• Supports Executive Office (EO) and Regional Office (RO) logs and assist in preparing an appropriate response to complete the logs.
• Assists with organizing meetings (in-person and virtual) with government focal points, partner, and Intergovernmental Organizations (IGOs) to follow up on regional workplan and prepare the discussion records.
• Provides administrative and travel support to participants attending major events and other meetings organized or supported by Unit.
• Identifies and resolves diverse issues/problems as they arise and determines appropriate actions.
• Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with Administration team at ROAP and Headquarters.
• Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, organize and coordinate seminars, conferences and translations).
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
• Audits the contractors’ invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
• Processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments.
• Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
Certification in Administration, Finance, HR or related area is desirable.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area is required.
Experience with the UN or similar international organization is desirable.
One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”Fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.