Job Opening ID: 221494
Job Network : Questions économiques et sociales et développement
Job Family : Programme Management
Category and Level : Autre, NO-C
Duty Station : ADDIS ABABA
Department/Office : Economic Commission for Africa
Date Posted : Nov 20, 2023
Deadline : Dec 19, 2023
Org. Setting and Reporting
ECA’s mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission will be guided by ECA’s five strategic directions which are: advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take local solutions to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
The Technology Climate Change, and Natural Resource Management Division (TCND) is headed by a Director and is accountable to the Deputy Executive Secretary (Programme). The Division is responsible for supporting the efficient management of natural resource endowments; reducing the negative impacts of climate change by moving towards green transitions and climate-resilient development and harnessing new technologies in the context of sustainable development. It is divided into three main sections: Africa Climate Policy Center; Innovations & Technologies Section, Green Economy and Blue Economy Section.
This position is located in the Climate Change, and Natural Resource Management Division (TCND). The Programme Management Officer will report to the Chief of Section, Technology and Innovation(TIS) under the overall direction and guidance of the Director of the Division.The focus of these jobs is the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes, operations and other activities specifically in the Digital Center of Excellence
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• •Contributes to the quarterly accountability and programme performance review meetings.
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provides insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the digital economy sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis in the digital economy sector, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
A good experience in managing digital development projects is desirable.
Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working language of the UN Secretariat. Fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.